Baby has one kidney

bookworm0901

Reaction score
Just found out that my baby boy has 1 kidney. I'm having a follow up in 6 weeks and they mentioned the possibility of "finding" it elsewhere in his body (like lower down by his pelvis?) but I think that possibility is pretty unlikely. Anyone else experienced this? Google says it's no big deal and he should live a normal life but a missing organ seems like a pretty big deal to me...

Hi, I don't have experience with this but due to my son's kidney issues I know of lots of children who have just one kidney or one that functions less than 10% and they are living normal lives. Only having one kidney really isn't a huge thing and most people with one do live normal lives as long as their functioning kidney is working fine. :)

My nephew was born with only one kidney and he's now a six-foot-tall, football-playing teenager with no health issues at all.

They kept a very close eye on him as a baby and he was on a maintenance dose of antibiotics for years to prevent infection, but he's never had any issues at all.

Sending good thoughts your little one will be the same.

my uncle was born with 1 kidney. he's in his late 40's and has lived a healthy, active life so far. he had no idea he only had 1 kidney until an abdominal CT scan when he was 30.

My friend was told at her scan her baby only had one kidney, but on a follow-up scan they actually did find the kidney in the baby's pelvis, so it does happen. Follow-up health care after the baby was born shows the kidney works perfectly but is just in a different place.

Hey everyone, baby is now 2 weeks old! When he was born, they did an ultrasound on his abdomen to try and find his kidney and it's definitely not there. But he seems perfectly healthy and content, he's such a good baby. We will be having some testing done to make sure the one he has is functioning like it should but other than that, they said not to be concerned. :)

Aww congrats. Had no idea when I replied, it was an older thread. Whoops. So glad to hear he is happy and healthy. Enjoy this lovely newborn stage!

Congratulations! I'm glad he seems to be doing well! :flower:

congratulations hun :)

for anyone else reading i did have this happen.. but then on follow up scan the other kidney was found :)

May i ask what tests your being sent for hun? Although they found my sons others kidney it does have issues so weve had testing/operations etc. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->