Baby items...

maybebaby

Terri and her baby girl!
Reaction score
Ok, I am trying to finalize my shopping list of things to buy for the LO, and I was hoping you ladies could help. What item, item(s) have you determined are a must or you couldn't live without? We are trying to keep down the amount of stuff we buy so we aren't buried in baby toys. Any suggestions are very welcome!! :hugs:

Urm I was asked this the other day from a close friend, couldnt think of anything straight off but now Ive thought about it I have a few things!

Moses basket or bassionet was a lifesaver, she slept right next to my bed and would sleep downstairs during the day where i could see her!

Also we got a second hand glider/rocking chair off ebay for like £30 and its great! Lily was very colicy and gets herself overtired a lot. As soon as I hold her close to me, put her dummy in and start rocking away shes asleep and calm in no time.

I think a bouncer or a lil vibrating chair is great too!

Good luck with the C- section! Look forward to hearing the birth story.
xx

A swaddle blanket!! Oh and a door bouncer too. Although some kids really dislike them. And a electronic swing..we got a fisherprice one, suitable from birth and with Kyle having evening time colic it helped soothed him so I could have a break x

a swing, playmat, tummy playmat, bumbo chair, soothing sound machine, bouncer.

Muslin squares.
Swing.
Vibrating Chair.
Close Baby Carrier.
Bright coloured toys.

She isn't into much else yet!

I dont think there was MUCH that I absolutely couldn't live without as Colton's already outgrown everything!
I probably used his swing the most. And actually just stopped. His head was almost touching the bar at the top and his feet were hanging off the end for awhile. But he would look at the toys above his head and crack up. We got rid of it because with his weight the swing would barely move side to side. :dohh:
Besides that I think I used his bouncy/vibrating chair pretty often.

Right now he is in his jumperoo, it's his fav. He smiles/laughs tons!

I love my glider. I can't do without the mobile we have on his cradle. Bren loves it and will watch it for a good 15-20 minutes, long enough for us to eat without holding him.

Def the glider, the swing is good if you can put your baby down. A playmat will really get them going. Boppy pillow for sure, especially if you plan on BF'ing. Gosh I think that I NEED like everything in my house LOL. Good luck with the C!

Lots of bibs and muslin squares!!! Also if you have a baby that likes to be carried alot i would recommend the rainforest swinging cradel! Expensive but a life saver! x

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21kzUKMUJ0L._AA160_.jpg
AND LOTS OF IT!
:rofl:

Sorry.. just got finished soaking his clothes in it; like I do during every load!
If there isn't spit up/slobber on something then there is food on it!
Oh.. and the occasional outfit with poop on it! :dohh:

Well, the bouncers, bumbos etc are all fine, but you certainly won't need them immediately.
Things that I really suggest are must have's to start with are:
1) Cotton balls - plenty off
2) foam bath support - to use in kitchen sink
3) pacifiers - for sleeping, if you are planning on using them
4) a couple of good books: The baby whisperer solves all your problems (must read), What to expect the first year (great to refer to)
5) muslin squares
6) grooming kit or at least nail clippers and bath thermometer
7) nappies - no more than 1 pack to start with
8) baby gros and vests - wouldn't go overboard as you get given so many clothes
9) thermometer to check room temp
10) and the fairly obvious car seat/ push chair/ moses basket or cot and bed clothes

Hope that might help some.

Boppy (breastfeeding pillow) - even if you don't breastfeed, this is a great pillow for feeding a bottle too. Just helps keep everything from getting tired.

My MOBY - I think some in the UK refer to it as Close baby carrier. Either way, I couldn't do without it. Allows me to hold baby tight against me so I can do other things. And she can sleep.

Bouncer- I didnt' think we'd care for this at all... Didn't have one with my first, but MIL bought two for her (one for work as I take her with me) and one for home.

I got this one at home bough by MIL:

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-uiALDrzL._AA262_.jpg

I liked it but wanted a few more features... so I bought this one for our days at work to replace an old one MIL gave me:

https://shopboppy.com/shop/images/Beige-dots-bouncer-product.jpg

BOPPY. We use it to feed her, she takes her naps in it and sleeps in it all night long (now that she can pick her head up on her own). LOTS of burp rags, more socks than you think you'll ever need (my dog has decided to EAT them).

Lots of blankets!!! I have alot and didn't think i'd need them all but i'm finding out otherwise!

Hello there! First off, best wishes with the impending arrival of your little one! Fun!

In terms of must-have's for your newborn, I agree with Margerle that the bouncer seat was a life-saver. When our little guy was small, we simply swaddled him in a flannel blanket and strapped him in. He LOVED that crazy chair. (We picked one up at a local second-hand shop for very little money and cleaned it like crazy.) We used that thing all the time - when showering, when cooking dinner, when eating, when folding laundry - seriously, all the time.

In terms of don't-needs, we did not have a lot of toys when he was newborn because there just wasn't much interaction. (And, why clutter up the house?) When he got a bit older (3 months?) and started reacting, we introduced just a few boldly colored soft toys that he could grasp and hug. He loved those.

Not certain your position on babywearing, but I found a sling quite handy. When he was little (1 month old) it was great because he could just nap while snuggled up to me and feel safe and secure at all times. It also made outings (to the store, to take a walk, etc.) so much easier than lugging that giant car-seat bucket around. Just my two cents.

Take care and good thoughts are sent your way for your delivery!

Thanks so much ladies!! I've definitely added a few things to my list. The only thing we haven't looked at yet are slings or baby carriers - Is MOBY a brand?

I heard Moby was a good brand hun , Has some good Reviews ..
I just wanted to say what every one else said really . Layla my first , I dont know what i would of done with a vibrating chair .
She wouldnt settle for her first few weeks and we was walking around with matchsticks pinning our eyes open , Then when we got her a virbrating chair wow she loved it , I know babies are suppose to sleep in Moses baskets .. But she slept everynight in that chair , It was her life for ages on vibrate laid next to me asleep she would sleep for 7 hours solid without a peep :) .
Bibs allways come in handy.
And a changing bag for all the things you need on days out .
Good luck on the list hun . x .

The only thing we haven't looked at yet are slings or baby carriers - Is MOBY a brand?

Yes, Moby is a brand name. You can google search for Moby Baby Wrap and you'll get lots of results. There are also other types of slings too - you may want to look at pictures to determine which style is best for you. I have heard wonderful things about this type of sling.

I preferred the ring sling style of baby sling (one brand name is Maya Wrap and they have a great website). This is designed (basically) as one long piece of fabric with heavy-duty rings sewn into one end. It then wraps around your body like a "Miss America" sash (from left shoulder to right hip, for example). There are also non-ring style slings that you wear sash style. Seriously - TONS of options for any style or woman.

I noticed you live in the US. Believe it or not, you can find some commercial brands available in stores like Target or Wal-Mart. But, personally, I found those to be too bulky because they are "padded". Your best bet is probably to do the research into the style you like and then look online - or even sew your own. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->