Baby led weaning

ChocolateC

Reaction score
Hi, I'm curious how you choose foods for baby-led weaning that your LO can't choke on. So far I've been doing more traditional weaning because it just seems easier--I know she won't choke and I can get a few bites of healthy food down her throat. But I'm really interested in BLW. Today I gave her strips of toast and she almost choked after gumming off a big piece. I kept checking her mouth to see how much she had gotten because I was scared. How do you guys manage it??
When I cook meat I give her little tiny slivers of it (not puree) and I don't know how she could handle a big piece of meat on her own. How does this work with BLW?
Thanks!:flower:

This is a great resource. https://www.babyledweaning.com/

Here's the getting started section - really helpful tips https://www.babyledweaning.com/some-tips-to-get-you-started/

I'd write more but I'd end up writing a novel! :haha: Just trust your gut but remember babies have great gag reflexes and they tend to spit/push out things that are too big or that they don't want/like :thumbup:
Oh and it's really messy but so worth it :) [I recommend putting a towel down or even a plastic shower curtain under the high chair - makes for easier clean up :thumbup:]

Babies are more likely to choke on purée and then transferring to lumpier foods than if you follow blw. This is because with purées a baby learns how to swallow first and has to learn to chew later. With blw the baby learns to bite off, chew food and move it around her mouth and spit it out before they learn to swallow therefore they are much less likely to choke.

Gagging is normal and is not choking. Choking is if the food is lodged in the airway and this is extremely rare, precisely because babies have a strong gag reflex which is much further forward than in adults so they gag much sooner which protects their airway. Poking your fingers in her mouth and fussing is the worse thing you can do as you might actually push the food back into her throat. Trust her to get on with it. Gagging and spitting out food (and probably putting it straight back in her mouth again!) is totally normal. She likely won't start swallowing for about 2-4 weeks.

I'm doing 100% blw with dd2 - no purées or spoon feeding at all and it's amazing, she is fab with food now, and doesn't even have any teeth! She's had all sorts, toast, cheese, eggs (mainly as omelette), most fruit going, she's tried lots of veg too, malt loaf, veggie sausages, veggie burger, (I'm veggie - if you eat meat your baby can have meat), lentil curry on a bit of naan bread, houmous, small weetabix soaked in a bit of milk which she holds herself..

Ah, thank goodness someone can explain it better than I could! Yes, exactly this and definitely have a read of that link. I found letting her gag went against my mummy instinct a bit, but my hands were sat on and she sorted it out, spat it out and carried on. It was fascinating to watch!

It seems odd at first but honestly, give it a try. It's really wonderful watching her discover all these new tastes and textures, and quite funny to see such a young baby eating such grown up food! I have a great picture of her munching on a sandwich which I sent to my mum. Poor woman nearly had kittens as she's so used to traditional weaning.

The mess though, my god the mess. A shower curtain might seem excessive but the woman who suggested it is a wise one! We've taken to nappy only meal times and straight in the bath afterwards. Oh and detachable, washable chair straps are the way forward too!

Baby led weaning is honestly fantastic :thumbup:

I did TW with my eldest and baby led with my youngest, and having done both, baby led is so much easier and leads to a much better eater. I only decided to do BLW because I had no time for making purees etc but I'm so glad I did. He joined in with our meals from six months and after about two months he really had the hang of it. He is a bottomless pit now!

We had plenty of gagging but I'd read enough to know that was normal and to allow it to happen. When we first started his strips of meat and veggies were long so he could grab them in a fist and chew on the top of them. Now they're smaller pieces. You have no restrictions, you can offer anything and everything (obviously being careful with salt, and no strawberries or honey before a year, no raw egg etc).

Yes, lots of mess too! But worth it :flower:

Strawberries are fine before a year, promise, it's just they're quite a common allergen so be cautious if you suspect your baby may be allergic (history in the family etc). Tomatoes can be allergenic too.

Strawberries are fine before a year, promise, it's just they're quite a common allergen so be cautious if you suspect your baby may be allergic (history in the family etc). Tomatoes can be allergenic too.

Haha, I didn't know that about tomatoes. They are one of LO's favorites, even more than sweet fruits.
Thank you ladies. BLW sounds like a lot of fun. I guess I've been doing a combination so far, since she definitely tries to "chew" the bits of food I give her and not just swallow. And she likes normal food so, so much better than baby food already! :munch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->