baby meal ideas..

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
i started weaning my LB 2 weeks ago due to reflux, real gutted i couldn't go straight into BLW but anywhoo.. so far he has only had mushed banana, rusks and formula & some mince,gravy and veg blended up!
oh i also gave him a toast soldier yesterday although he sucked it rather than ate it..

what else can i give him? it think hes ready for more than 1 meal per day but me and my OH don't really eat too well, we don't always have home made dinners, more so now bcos we don't have a cooker atm.. like yesterday we had a very lazy dinner of bacon sausage beans & toast..
lunch i usually pick up a sandwich meal deal from the supermarket..

what can i give him for breakfast & lunch?
IDK what to make of baby rice? ive got the impression its crap, then again ive been told rusks is too??

0Both baby rice and rusks are lacking in nutrition and pretty pointless. Things like pureed fruit and veg or yogurt are good to start with. Then you can start to build up the lumps.

he does have it lumpy anyway, i wanted to make sure its lumpy so that when i go to BLW its not a major shock to him,
last night i did him potato and carrot mushed up with a bit of baby milk as it was dry, but he didnt eat it he was too busy laughing lol..
ill maybe try again tonight with veg as so far hes only had fruit and rusks..
can i give him porridge with his milk? if i like blend the porrige to make it finer, then add his warm milk?

If you are starting before 6 months, the recommendation is to stick to only baby rice, fruit and veg. Adding in things like meat, eggs, wheat, etc. isn't usually advised until they're 6 months as it can be more likely to lead to allergies. If you plan to keep the purees up, I'd just stick with veg and fruit for another month. There is so much variety just with that and you won't run out of things to offer if you buy a diverse range of fruit and veg (try to think out of the box and make things you wouldn't normally). After 6 months, you can offer anything you're eating, minus added salt, sugar, whole nuts and honey. If you want to continue the puree route then, you can puree or mash your own meals. If you want to switch to finger foods, then again, it's anything you would eat, keeping in mind that bigger chunks of food (toast fingers, roasted veg sticks, cucumber or melon sticks) will be easier to pick up at first. Also, it's worth starting to overhaul your own diet. Your LO will be eating what you eat for the next 18 years, so now's the time to learn to cook healthy meals. If you don't have a cooker right now, you can do lots with a slow cooker and without too much faff.

oh i have already given him meat and he was okay, he ate quite alot too. my Dr told me to give him anything im eating, i just really dont wanna give him baby rice, thats why i asked about porridge?

i gave him a toast finger the other day he took it to his mouth licked and sucked it he loved it, didnt actually eat much though, i cant wait for BLW!!

We were told at the weaning course we went to that before 6 months it should be just fruit, veg and grains like rice or porridge ( no wheat and they don't recommend potatoes before 6 months I think)
We haven't started with my son yet but with my daughter I bought a microwave steamer which was great, just big enough to do a couple of portions of veg in 3-4 mins that I could then puree or mash up. The Annabel Karmel book has lots of puree ideas in it for before 6 months and she has some recipes on her website
https://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes?category=34&open=1
I adapted quite a few of the recipes for doing BLW just by leaving the veg etc in whole pieces rather than mashing and they were really popular!

ETA I used baby porridge sometimes with my daughter rather than baby rice and I'd def say that rusks are pretty crap but that's just my opinion! We used rice cakes instead as she got older and she still likes them as a snack now at nearly 4.

I used ready brek or weetabix mixed with breastmilk for breakfast

Put any of your meals into a blender and feed.

My LO was TW from 5.5m and I started with chicken dinner! I've never really made her any separate, the only thing I needed to do was blitzed. I did this mostly with the stick blender to keep it textured.

My LO loved the aptamil whole grain porridge for breakkie

thankyou ladies..

i need one of them microwave steamers, ill look for one now!!
i dont use a blender i just mush up as i dont want it pureed as such, im worried if i do he will struggle with BLW.
ive given him meat and potatoes already :s hes fine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->