Baby measuring too small?

maybaby2018

Reaction score
So I had a scan today to check the position of my placenta and a growth scan, she said that baby's growth looked like it had slowed down but all his organs etc were perfect. She said it could be that he was in an awkward position because his leg was pressed against his belly and his head was very low down. Back next week for another scan.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

2 out of 4 of my babies have measured small first was 7lbs at birth and this one is yet to join us but scans especially later scans can be very in accurate. They told me my first was going to be over 10lbs and he was 7lb12 so I usually don’t read to much into them. I wouldn’t stress to much hun but if your really worried maybe ask for a repeat scan in a fortnight and see if the growth even though small is still progressing :)

My DD measured small and I had to have a growth scan towards the end of my pregnancy... she came out 7lbs 13oz with long legs x

Ds3 measurred small he came at 7.8 which is avarege but dd1 this time ultrasound is plotted under the 5th centile but on notes saying normal growth hoping to find out fundal height on monday to see if she is on the smaller size as got a personalised growth chart with all ds measurments so if she is falling short this first time of the 10th centile they have to refer for a growth scan all the last few weeks ive eaten loads but feel as if i have lost weight xx

I've had a scan today at 34+6 which just dipped baby under 10th centile on my chart. She was in a weird position and it means I need a repeat scan. I had a little freak out earlier but to be honest everything else was fine, my chart is high because of my BMI and if we were at our original date we would be 34+2 and she would have been on the 10th...

The other reason I am not tooooo stressed is that my DD2 was 8lb 12 and they weighed her a few times as she didn't look that big and neither did 9lb 8.5oz DD3.

This is first baby for my OH and his family are all 6lb babies so that would also be a factor I am guessing??

With my daughter the midwives notices she was measuring small from about 30 weeks. I had weekly scans from then until she was born to check growth. She was born naturally at 37 weeks, weighing 5lbs. The growth scan weight was basically spot on, but she was perfectly healthy.

On my last pregnancy the scan said Daughters head was measuring big and that she was not proportioned, she came out 8lb 1 oz perfectly healthy and 2 oz lighter than my first child.

This pregnancy I dropped a centile and had to have a scan (scan was at 36 weeks + 6 days) and they said it had been inaccurate baby was 7lbs at that stage

My son measured a small and was born at 6pds 13 oz at 39 weeks.

Within 2 months he became a giant. He has stayed in the 95th percentile + ever since and still is at 3 yrs old.

Chances are good you're ok, and your baby may not be small :)

I had a community midwife check today at my GP surgery and my fundal height continues to follow the line beautifully so I'm optimistic for Thursday's growth scan...

My kiddo measured small and came out small. He was born 0.2%ile in weight and like 2% in height. He’s 20th now for weight and 50th for height and doing just fine though I was never able to bf since he had to be on high cal formula and then my bm never had enough Cals so I had to fortify it. Small kids are still healthy kids but as others mentioned they could be off when they are measuring

All 3 of mine have been “small” babies, first 2 I was allowed to go into labour with naturally.. my son was 5lb 1.. which is only 2nd centile and my daughter was 6lb 8.. not much better at 11th centile. I’m booked in to be induced @ 37wks with this one since she’s estimated below 10th centile.

I wouldn’t worry too much, it’s not usual to go for another scan and them realise it was a mistake or they’re born and nowhere near the efw they thought. And if baby is small, you’ll be fine, just a smaller baby :)

Little update, there's talks of inducing at 37 weeks as he's still really small! Back again tomorrow for a Doppler scan and then growth the following week, will be 37 weeks the week after that! So we'll see x

My LO was born 40+5 and was 5lb 10oz! She was on the 0% apparently (if that's possible?!) She was fine. I was out of the hospital the same day as delivery. The only issue was breastfeeding for me as I was so anxious about knowing what she was taking each feed. So I ended up bottle feeding. She quickly gained weight, and is now one of the tallest in her class!

Never got any answers as to why, both myself and my husband are tall and broad...

Hey ladies. My LO is still under 10th centile so they're monitoring as I declined induction based on her still seeming happy and moving well. I've a CTG tomorrow and scan Thursday. I've proposed monitoring until 40 weeks and revising then unless baby suggests she's unhappy... From what I can tell, it's her femur length that's coming up small, but it's super hard to measure. Mildly frustrating as it's seemed to have taken homebirth away as an option, but still grateful that they're working with me on it!

Update: I assessed the femur length/abdo circumference/head circumference on my scans and compared to general charts. Only the FL was an issue AND I learned that Royal College of Obs and Gynaes can accept just abdo circumference as an indicator of fetal measurement.

When I went for growth scan #3 I advised the sonographer of the issues we have had and she went for the FL first whilst baby was still (ie before she tried to wriggle away from her head being poked!) and this got a clearer measure which put her on 30th centile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->