Baby measuring weeks larger than normal

tor624

Reaction score
My baby has been an over achiever for the whole pregnancy, but has been several weeks ahead lately. I realize ultrasound weights are notoriously wrong, but it's hard to not take it somewhat seriously, especially since this is my first!

At 29 weeks he measured 3 lbs 12 oz (97th percentile). And at 33 weeks he measured 5 lbs 9 oz (87th percentile). I don't have gestational diabetes, and my husband nor myself were exceptionally large babies. Has anyone had similar measurements, and how big did you baby end up being?

I don't remember the exact measurements of my DS at his previous scans(although he was always measuring ahead), but I do know they thought he would be big and sent me for one final scan at around 38-39w. He was estimated at 11+lbs. I didn't have GD and neither DH or I had been huge babies.(DH was around 8lbs. I was 7lbs6oz.) DS ended up being 8lbs9oz.

My son was that way and my daughter is shaping up to be that way :)
At 28 weeks my son was just over 4 pounds and at 36 weeks he measured 9 pounds(projected birth weight 11-0) and 38 weeks measured just under 10 and he was born at 40 weeks weighing in at 10-11.
My daughter is due in a week. At 32 weeks she weighed in at 5 pounds and at 36 she was 8-3 which gives her a projected birthweight of 10-3. So we'll see if they are right again.
My ultrasound tech has been doing this for 18 years and has never been more than 5 ounces off, so i'd say she's pretty good :)

I did not have GD although I'm on the taller side for a girl (5'8'') and my husband is 6'1'' and we were both 9 pounds at birth. So I really don't know how I managed to grow such large babies.

Good luck! Big babies are fun. They eat great and usually sleep better since they have bigger stomachs and can stay full longer :) plus, it's just fun bragging on how big your baby was at birth :)

At 35+6 DD was 7lbs 2oz. At 39+5 she was born 8lbs 7oz. Pretty accurate with gaining half a pound a week. But scans could also be off by 2 pounds both ways

I'm actually in the same situation. Today my doctor told me that my lil man is measuring at 36 weeks and I'm only gonna be 33 weeks this Sunday lol. I was scheduled for a ultrasound in two weeks to try and get an estimate of how big he is.

my lil guy is measuring 2-3 weeks ahead but i do have GD this time round. i have my second growth scan on the 2nd and will be asking for an estimated weight x

I think last time when I was nearing the end I weighed 1-2 weeks ahead. I was worried because i did eat a lot of take aways and junk food towards the end too lol.
They estimated over 7 and a half lb baby but she ended up being 6lb 13oz.
this time I measure 1 week ahead. Im going to ask at my next appointment what they guess the size is.
Whatever the size of our babies we will be ok :)

Baby has measured 2 weeks ahead from 20weeks to 33weeks. At 31weeks baby was 4lbs and measuring in the 90th percentile all around. I was measuring 4 weeks ahead until 36 weeks when I have gradually slowed down. As of this past Monday I was only a week ahead and my me was estimating Baby to only be about 7.5lbs. (We will see if they are right whenever Baby does come.

I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. It could just be Baby getting ahead because your body will slow it down on its own. I've had terrible heartburn since around 31 weeks so I know I haven't eaten as much. But they are not concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->