Baby name Cohen

sunshine2014

Reaction score
Hey ladies, looking for honest advice...

I love the name Cohen for a boy, it's strong, and different and can't be made into a nickname. It's the only name I genuinely LOVE.....

But upon further research I've discovered this name is considered offensive by some, specifically those who are Jewish as it's a common last name meaning Priest. I'm completely torn because I don't want to offend (obviously), but also feel like it's a great name. I want to get some opinions on this and see what others think....

Thanks!

I like it and have to admit I have never heard of it as being offensive xx

I love it! My friend has a son who is Cohen, he's 15 now and a proper nice little guy... Maybe yours will be too!

Great name. I've also never heard of it as being offensive!

I like it. I've never heard of it being offensive :)

Thanks ladies. Unfortunately after all the research I've done, it keeps coming up as offensive so Dh has vetoed it.

Still my favourite though!

I appreciate your opinions :)

That's a shame! I really like it I've not heard of it being offensive either. I know of two boys who have that name!

Good luck on the name search!

Thanks! :) Back to the drawing board - it's so complicated! lol

You could spell it Cohan, as that is an Irish surname without the religious meaning. Or Koen, Kohen, Kohan, Koan. Any of the above really. My nephew is called Cohan and there's never been an issue :)

I think it's cute. If you love it, use it. Your not trying to offend anyone at all and those who are offended by it don't have to stick around. Your not deliberately choosing a name to offend anyone. If your not Jewish, and you are not religious, who cares? Otherwise the alternative spelling is Koen which is Dutch and has a completely different meaning. Maybe if you love it but are worried about how it will be viewed, how about a variation of spelling with a different meaning? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koen

I'm Jewish and I don't find that name offensive if that counts for anything! It's lovely

A friend of mine just called her little boy Cohen and it's lovely. I've certainly never heard of any negative connotations to go with it :) I wouldn't worry, if you love it, use it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->