Baby Names

GracieGoo

Mammy to 2 beauts! xx
Reaction score
Evening :)

So I am in on my own with the babes tonight, and just got thinking of what names stop you in your tracks when you go to baby groups... For good reasons and those that make you think wow how different..

Today I heard the names Alice and Seth, both normal names, but not ones that you particularly hear often, really liked them both :)

p.s... like to get ideas for baby no3, if hubby lets us bring another into our family lol....

I don't go to baby groups but my friend recently called his daughter Athena. I'm considering ending our friendship so that I can use that name myself ;) :haha: I think it's gorgeous! One of my favourite girl's names atm is Isla, I used to really, really dislike it but it's suddenly grown on me x

Oooh I like Athena (def end that friendship lol).. I couldn't call another child that as I have a sil called Alethea... a little bit too close, and can't get rid of her so easy!! haha! ;-)

Seem to be hearing a lot of Isla at the moment, do like it. Also quite like ad-lee for a girly, just not sure on that spelling (although that is too 'out there' for hubby lol)

Love the name Violet and Ivy too... Although never heard of those names around here...

There was a little girl called Serenity at soft play today, lovely name.

Hubbys colleague has a little girl called Athena, such a fab name she is also greek !

There was a child at a friends little boys party we were at called Diesel !

I really like Ivy but my OH doesn't lol. I also LOVE Summer but unfortunately that's my sister's name :haha:
My favourite boy's name is slightly less adventurous but it's Joshua. I don't know what it is I just think it's such a lovely name!

There's someone at my group called her girl Starla ... At first I wasn't sure but I love it now.

There's someone at my group called her girl Starla ... At first I wasn't sure but I love it now.

I felt that way about the name Saskia when I heard it. I think the fact that it was the cutest little girl I've ever seen in my life's name helped me learn to love it lol

I've never heard any unusual names at baby club or any of the other things I attend! I was just thinking about this yesterday. All nice normal names .. Benjamin, Alfie, Poppy, Harry, LOTS of Amelia, Emilia and 100s of variations of it, Olivia, Charlies, Jacks, etc the only one really unusual is Felix.

I notice in my area there are a lot of nicknamey names like Alfie, Charlie, Ollie.

My LO's name is a top 100 name ... think it's somewhere in the 70 or 80s and everyone always tells me it's unusual even though it's an old English name and I don't think it's unusual at all.

Iv not really heard any unusual names at the baby groups I go to, lucas probably has a more different name and thats fairly normal.

Ones I do like that are there are isaac and jessica but there fairly normal.

Ooooo just remember one - rosevelt, It really suited him haha

Ah wait I just thought of one! There was a Winston at baby massage, that was unusual.

My ds was in the top 100 names, but we have never bumped into another one of him. I adore his name, and it suits him perfectly. dd is in the top 30, we haven't bumped into another baby version of her (know an adult version and thankfully she is really nice lol), I do like her name, but sometimes think that her name isn't so unique to her... Although it is beautiful, I always called her missy lol... she will end up thinking that is her name one of these days..

We also have a lot of nicknamey names. I do like them, but I prefer a full name that can be shortened if that child so wishes... Diesel is unusual, I heard a hanson at a soft play... wasn't too sure what to make of that one tbh (obviously they must have loved it so its there choice), it just reminds me of that long haired boy band years back...

Ooh no personally ... I think if you are going to give a nicknamey name then that's what should be on the birth certificate. I think it will be very rare for someone to be known all their life for example as Charlie to change his name to Charles when he's an adult. He'd have grown into the name by them.

Ooh no personally ... I think if you are going to give a nicknamey name then that's what should be on the birth certificate. I think it will be very rare for someone to be known all their life for example as Charlie to change his name to Charles when he's an adult. He'd have grown into the name by them.

Disagree, I know a few people that have felt that their nickname was a bit childish and have preferred their given name as they've grown up eg Missy started calling herself Melissa again x

Disagree, I know a few people that have felt that their nickname was a bit childish and have preferred their given name as they've grown up eg Missy started calling herself Melissa again x

Fair enough, but personally if I was going to go for a nicknamey name I would have just put that on the birth certificate.

Suppose it would depend on the name though. Alfie I would have just put Alfie rather than Alfred but if it was Missy I would have put Melissa on the birth certificate.

When DD was little there were 2 girls in her nursery that she was friends with - Aspen and Saffron. (Not related to each other or anything). I thought they were cute.

There was a Hunter (girl), Matteo, & a Leo at my playgroup.

kal-el is probably the weirdest one but interesting lol (named after super man I think)

we also know a girl called Cameron

Ive know 2 Dexters which I still think is bizarre

my friend has a son called Damion (like the child in the Omen)

also a normal name but a little girl called Sadie (just seems odd on a child)

Just had a friend's sister in law call her little one Amadeus (Well Ray Amadeus but Ray is dad so they use Amadeus). Thought that was different around here for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->