Baby not gaining weight - BF at night only - advice pls

Hiding

Two lovely boys
Reaction score
Ok, so my daughter is nearly 10 wks and weighs only 9lb 9oz (at last weeks weigh in). If she hasn't gained weight by this Wednesday, they will refer her to a paediatrician. I've done everything they have advised of me, and tbh, breastfeeding her is always fractious and stressful so today, I tried her on formula but I'd really like to consider feeding her at night only - is this possible? Maybe night feeds and first morning one? Will I confuse her?

On a side note - my boobs are killing me!! If I want to feed her tonight in the night, shall I go through the pain or express a little?

Why are your boobs killing you?

Have you had her checked by an LC for tongue tie or lip tie which can cause transfer issues?

It is totally possible to combo feed your LO.

who is they? have you spoke with a lactating consultant. if your nipples are sore all i can say is that perhaps baby doesn't have a good latch therefore is not getting enough milk. Just my opinion.

I would hazard a guess that her boobs are full of milk from formula feeding, and hurting.

No advice but I wish you luck with the baby's weight gain.

Thank you minties - yes, they are full of milk and incredibly sore!

She has been checked for tongue tie and all is well. 'They' refers to the health visitors I saw two weeks ago - she us dropped two centiles and because of this, if she drops any further, she will need to be seen by a paediatrician. Her weight is going up (by tiny amounts) but she's dropping centiles which isn't good. The health visitor thinks she may not be staying on long enough to get enough hind milk, but I've tried everything to get her to stay on longer, or make latching easier, I've stayed with her longer at her bedtime feed to see if she wants to cluster feed as she can be a bit unsettled between 7-9.

Last night, I breastfed her during the night - first feed was fine, normal. Second feed, she wouldn't even latch, was hysterical like she had been during the day. Today, she's had formula all day, my boobs are very sore so I've expressed a small amount once she was in bed. I intend to try to breastfeed her overnight again.

My original concern was whether I can just feed her overnight but use formula during the day to try and help with her weight gain - will my supply be ok with this? She's being weighed tomorrow so will chat with the health visitors again.

I was checking what the pain was in your breasts in case there were some symptoms indicating transfer issues, lip tie or tongue tie. If you are engorged then you are definitely making enough milk so that eliminates that.

Some kids are just lazy nursers. My friend's daughter was like that, just couldn't be bothered nursing.

Yes you can combi feed your LO any way you want. That is essentially what happens anyway after 6 months when foods are introduced. Your supply should adjust. You can use cold cabbage leaves to keep the swelling and alleviate some pain, and as you are doing only express off enough to help with the pain.

Thank you :) I managed two night feeds successfully last night with no screaming from DD so I'm happy. I expressed a little from both sides, just to ease the engorgement and bottle fed today, and all seems to be going well. I feel much happier! She was weighed and is up to 10lb so back on the 9th centile. She is feeding from the bottle with no fuss - so maybe she is just a fussy breastfeeder like you say.

Thanks for the advice - will continue to combi feed for as long as I can/she is happy to. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->