Baby picks their own name?

MrsLemon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was talking about this idea with family over the weekend, my sister in law is adamant that both her babies picked their own names. As whilst pregnant names that she had never liked/thought of before stood out to her??
I thought it was an interesting idea...
What are your opinions?

I don't think it's true. I think names stood out to her that she previously didn't like because her hormones were going crazy!

Haha as i've never been pregnant I have no idea... but i suspect you might have a point there.

Growing up, I always loved the name Nathan (Nate) for a boy. When I was pregnant, I hated the name! Your tastes are often different when you're pregnant!

Yeah I agree it's a hormone thing, I was liking names and then going off them on and off the while pregnancy.

I think its just that preferences change over time. Names I loved in the past i'm not so much a fan of now.

I believe they do but I am quite spiritual and 100% believe there is one name that suits your baby best. Thats why I would never use a name that did not feel right.

I don't think babies pick their own names... that's just silly. They can't even talk.

Hehehehe. :)

I've heard of families that can't decide between names agree to let the baby "pick" the name by assigning the name to a week or month and agreeing to name the baby that if baby is born in that week.

Example: baby is named Julia if born in July, June if born in June, and May if born very early in May.

Or: EDD is Sept. 20. Baby is named Dylan if born the week of Sept. 15-21, Jacob if born Sept. 22-29, etc.

I've also heard of some families waiting to bring their babies home and spend a week or two with him/her before naming. A former boss and his wife did this with their youngest. They said that they needed to experiment with names and see what suited their baby before settling on something.

I don't believe that a baby could choose just any name in utero with no input from the parents. That is the parents getting excited about a new baby name and attributing it to the baby.

Before pregnancy I always liked names like Azaria, India and Kahlia. When I was expecting things changed and I actually experienced 'cravings' for normal names like Sarah, Jane and Emma.
We settled on Caitlin Emma & Bethany Clare.

Our two favourites this time are Emily & Erin - so neither very unusual!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->