Baby signing - how long before baby starts to use the signs?

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
I have bought a baby signing book and have started to use a few basic signs, mainly 'eat', 'drink', 'more' and 'all gone'. It's quite a trick getting baby to actually look at me while I'm doing the signs, as he's always interested in EVERYTHING that's going on around him, so I'm never really sure whether he's really seen the sign. But anyway, it's fun and I'm looking forward to trying out new signs each week. Just wondering how long babies take before they start using the signs - I'm really excited about the prospect of him actually doing one of the signs :thumbup: He's just turned 8 months. Anybody have any experience of this and know how long it can take?

Don't have experience but I'm hoping to go on a course to do this soon :) Let me know how you get on xx

Im starting a course in September cant wait. Try and talk to momandpeanut her and Logan have been signing for months now. x

It depends on the baby but my LO didnt start signing back until he was 12 months old. I dont think they have the cordination to do the signs or the interest in communicating before 10 months or so but each LO is different. When I told some other mums that my son was signing back at 12 months they said theirs didnt sign back until even later.

It is worth doing though even if you have to wait awhile, my LO's first sign was food and it was so helpful knowing when he was hungry :) He now does drink and some animal signs too and its so cute :)

I don't have any experience but I plan on joining a local group as soon as I get my driver's license. Which book are you using, do you feel like it's a good one?

I don't have any experience but I plan on joining a local group as soon as I get my driver's license. Which book are you using, do you feel like it's a good one?

The book is called My First Signs. This is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-First-S...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276861976&sr=1-1 I really like it - it's dead simple without any waffle, and it's almost all done in pictures (really cute ones) rather than words. I'd recommend it. I got it off eBay.

The book is called My First Signs. This is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-First-S...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276861976&sr=1-1 I really like it - it's dead simple without any waffle, and it's almost all done in pictures (really cute ones) rather than words. I'd recommend it. I got it off eBay.

:haha::haha: i have just started watching one of these on ebay. Glad it comes recomended. x

I have that book. Agree, it's very clear. Adam likes looking at the pictures, too.

FOB and I are already signing to Albert, again, just easy signs like milk, more, hello, goodbye. It's funny... he seems to pay attention but as he's so young i'm guessing it's just because it's something moving :)

I'm going to go to this one starting next week https://www.tinytalk.co.uk/

They do local drop in style classes x

I'm doing a course at my local surestart centre £12 for 6 weeks incl a cd of the songs we are doing. It is just the basics, but a good place to start.

our local sure start does them. im going end of july, caleb will be 7 months x

katy, when you find out will you let me know, i might join you :) unless theres one closer obv

x

Hannah started signing back consistently around 12 months (than again we weren't extremely consistent with the signing before than either so I'm sure that played a huge part :blush:)

the only one leyla will do is eat haha, ive been trying for ages to get her to do the milk sign but she is having none of it, whenever i do it she cries for her milk but wont do the sign lmao

x

zane has always watched a program on cbeebies called something special where they talk and sign at the same time, zane loves it.

and over the past few months hes started to do signs hes seen on there and is really getting into it, i had never thought about classes before but now i see how into it he really is and when he does something right hes so happy i will be lookin into classes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->