Baby thermometer?

J22

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Can any of you advise on what thermometer I need to get for taking babys temperature? I thought it would be straight forward until I googled and realised there are different ways to take a temperature :wacko: I'd seen one for ears/forehead but have since read they're not as accurate as rectal readings. I don't fancy putting a thermometer in my babys bum (poor little bubs!), but if that's what's best......

Thanks! xx

I've got one for ear, started off with a forehead one but it was too hard to take. Er is still hard but IV heard you can get dummies with them in, I want one as this would solve this problem!

You can get a non-contact thermometer from Boots, so you don't disturb the baby when taking it.

I've heard dummy thermometers are a bit useless because quite often when you want to take baby's temp they have a blocked nose due to cold and definitely don't want to / can't suck a dummy.

I have always found ear ones to be better. we have one for DS1 as the arm pit one was rubbish.

BUT i think they suggest you take babies temp from arm pit x

We have an ear and head thermometer from lloyds which is excellent and very accurate

I have this one, which is what the GP's use
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001D0LMS/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550945029&ref=asc_df_B0001D0LMS
Good price on amazon at the moment! It is expensive but i've found it invaluable.
We started off with the Lindam 2 In 1 Ear and Forehead Thermometer, so in theory you can just put it against their forehead or take the cover off and put it in the ear... found it to give wildly different readings though!
The only downside to in ear thermometers, is that they are 'all one size' so to speak, so with a tiny baby you have to be very careful to get it in the right place in their ears to take the temp.
Would still go for the braun every time though.

ive got one thats used for anal,mouth, or armpit. Ill probably use it for armpit though.

We just used the rectal thermometer when the baby was little. He hasn't had a fever since quite young, so we haven't needed anything else. He never minded the thermometer, it was just a bit of a shock :wacko:, with all the nappy changes you do it never seemed as gross as I expected.

The doctor told us the rectal is also the most accurate, when the fever was high we wanted to make sure the temp we got was the most accurate possible.

I'd say get yourself an ear one - we had one of the armpit ones, but it's not that easy to get a baby to stay still for long enough to take their temperature with the manual kind. The ear ones are so much easier. The hospital ward I work on uses ear ones, so they must be accurate enough.

We have a Braun in ear one and it's brilliant, can't fault it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->