Baby Walker - Yes or No ?

Louisa K

Reaction score
My health visitor said she wouldn't recommend buying a walker as it can make the baby walk a bit funny because they kind of walk on their tip toes in the walker.

I really wanted to buy Louis one, all the babies in my family have used a walker and I can't remember any of them having a funny walk :baby:

Just wondered what you lot thought about baby walkers?

:muaha:

We have one, and will definitally be using it.
Everyone in my family has used one aswell, and we all walk fine.

i had one for kacy couldn't move in it, but will defo use it for kira

Dont babies walk on their toes naturally when they are learning to walk??? I thought they did if I hold my LOs hands he walks on tiptoe.
I have had Dec in the walker from about 4 months my HV says they are fine as long as the baby isnt in it all day every day.

my OH's niece had what i think your HV is on about, the tendons in the back of her ankle arent long enough and she know has physio to help her walk flat footed ..i used to think it was due to the fact she was in a door frame bouncer, but thinking about it now, they wouldnt sell them if it made babies end up like that :dohh:...
ive just ordered a triangle bouncer thingy-ma-bob for my LO but she just wont be in it for long periods so that her feet are tippy-toed x

As long as baby can place feet flat on the floor (imo) then yes use one if you want - My OH says to knock it up one height but I want her to be able to put her feet flat on floor and not constantly hang in air (on tip toes I guess) This way she can stand up & sit down.

I think that it's ok as long as you only use it for short periods, you've got to make sure that your LO still gets plenty of time on the floor.

Hannah & Oliver both used our babywalker & they both walk fine, lol!!

Alex will probably use it too, i think it is still up in the loft. :)

i have one for callum and used one with nicole and she is fine. probably just another old wives tale.

leeon uses one now you just have to be very careful especially if there are older children around that there are no small toys on the floor that could get stuck on the wheels of the walker but hes fine in his just 20 minutes a day he has in it at the moment

I have been using a baby walker but maintenance some rules. I will just suggest you when baby use a walker for short periods of time, say, half an hour, then let him/her take a break. So I think, using a walker is okay.

I have always heard true walkers are dangerous, that you should use stationary ones instead.

I never felt the need to have a walker, I mean they walk soon enough anyway. I think the problem is with more and more people having hard floor covering instead of carpet, the walkers are extra slidey.

What we did have for my daughter was the first steps baby walker, it was a gift and she used that to walk which I think is a lot better than the seated walkers. She also had a dolls pram which doubled as a wee walker.

No we didn't use a walker. I didn't like what I had read about them.

Both my boys used it for short periods of time and had no problems with walking whatsoever. They both weren't fans of walkers at all!

Just noticed how old this thread is! Was only 17 and no kids back then :haha:

Actual baby walkers are illegal in Canada. You can only buy the push along type ones. Which those I did use with my son, but he was already taking steps and just uses it to go further distances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->