Baby wants breast but not milk.

Oxygen7880

Me and my baby girl :)
Reaction score
My baby boy is 6 weeks old and breastfeeding has been going well. I do get some discomfort but no nipple trauma and it's tolerable.
The issue I am having is that baby uses my breast to comfort himself to sleep, which I don't mind at all, in fact I think it lovely. However he's currently in a growth spurt and so needs comfort more than ever. When he wants to suck and I let down, he gets upset because he doesn't want the milk. I have tried to give him a dummy for these occasions and when I need to sort out my 3 yr old for what ever reason. But he will not take it despite repeated attempts. He gags and just spits it out. Any advice? I hate seeing him upset when I know he just wants to suck to sleep. He's getting overtired and grumpy.

He's 6weeks, it's all still new. You could have a forceful letdown. I'd call LA Leche League (FREE breastfeeding help). At 6weeks, they still nurse a lot.

A laid back feeding position may stop let-down from flooding in to his mouth so quickly as gravity will be working against it. Over time, as your supply regulates it should get better on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->