Baby weight gain

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
At birth my son was 9lbs 1oz, at one week my son was 8lbs 11oz and was weighed today at two weeks and he has jumped up to 9lbs 13oz.
The health visitor couldn't believe I hadn't supplemented baby as that is a big weight gain for a bf baby.
Is it possible I am over feeding baby?

No definitely not! That's a great weight gain, well done you! Breastfed babies do tend to pack on the weight rapidly to begin with but then it slows down after the first 2-3 months typically x

It's great, don't worry about him eating too much, as long as he can keep it down, let him eat.

My second eldest didn't lose any weight after being born was 3oz up on birthweight by day 4-5 and about a pound up by ten days some babies are just built to gain a certain way and BF is best for fulfilling that potential. On the other hand my eldest and two youngest dropped centiles as they weren't as rapid gainers to start with and ended up being big gainers a bit later on, my youngest is still a slight gainer though compared to some of my others overall even though he takes in loads of milk and has really heavy wet nappies, he just has a fast metabolism xx

You are doing great, the first weeks/months BF babies gain A LOT and very fast compared to FF babies.
Around 3-4 months their weight gain slows down, again compared w/ FF babies. But I hear that the extra weight of the FF babies is water retention so not "real".

hi hun, it's impossible to overfeed BF baby. You can't really pour your milk down his mouth like with formula, he needs to work at it to get it.
Both of my babies packed a lot of weight the first six months. DS was born less than 3 percentile and jumped to 50% at 2 months check up (he's gaining 3+ pounds per month and 3 inches per month).

no you can't overfeed. and that is a, great weight gain and you should be proud momma :) but don't worry if the weight gain next week isnt quite as dramatic, different scales can be off each other by several ounces and sometimes a nurse may write the weight down incorrectly.

At birth my son was 9lbs 1oz, at one week my son was 8lbs 11oz and was weighed today at two weeks and he has jumped up to 9lbs 13oz.
The health visitor couldn't believe I hadn't supplemented baby as that is a big weight gain for a bf baby.
Is it possible I am over feeding baby?

How strange! My lo was exactly the same! 9lb1 at birth then 8lb11 then 9lb15 all breastmilk;) my hv just said what great gain, my last toe were breastfed and gained loads too! Well done u xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->