Baby won't nurse :(

vickyandchick

Mum of boys
Reaction score
All last night and today my son has refused to nurse even though he's hungry :(

He had his jabs on Monday and he's been whiney ever since, also yesterday I was feeding him and he suddenly stopped, pulled a shocked face and started screaming. He then totally froze and went purple in the face:cry: We had a really bad nights sleep and every time I try and lie him down he screams. If I try and get him to nurse he goes to latch and then starts to cry:nope:
He's happily taking bottles of ebm so I don't know what's wrong, could it be the jabs or the shock yesterday? I feel like I'm failing because I can't fix it

My lg has done the same thing on and off since a similar age.we had a week where she screamed every feed and refused but accepted a bottle...I think some of it I put down to teething pain as the sucking causes pain. After that horrible week I could see teeth in her gums (although not cut through still!)

Also, she began to have a preference for the bottle and again would scream and arch awau from me whenever I put her into nursing position.

What helped us was skin to skin contact. We cuddled in bed skin to skin in the morning, had baths together. I used to get stressed when she refused but what also helped was me acting like I didn't mind if she refused and just comforting her...made a huge difference.

Also, lying down to feed really helps if she is being fussy. I just lie and cuddle her and make my breast available and chat to her, smile etc.

I hope some of these things work. I'm sure it will just be a phase :)

My lg has done the same thing on and off since a similar age.we had a week where she screamed every feed and refused but accepted a bottle...I think some of it I put down to teething pain as the sucking causes pain. After that horrible week I could see teeth in her gums (although not cut through still!)

Also, she began to have a preference for the bottle and again would scream and arch awau from me whenever I put her into nursing position.

What helped us was skin to skin contact. We cuddled in bed skin to skin in the morning, had baths together. I used to get stressed when she refused but what also helped was me acting like I didn't mind if she refused and just comforting her...made a huge difference.

Also, lying down to feed really helps if she is being fussy. I just lie and cuddle her and make my breast available and chat to her, smile etc.

I hope some of these things work. I'm sure it will just be a phase :)

Thank you ever so much:flower:

Aww I hope it helps and you see some improvement.

It's worked so well for me that twice now my lo has refused a bottle and wanted me to feed her...this is very very unlike her! I had to feed her today in the middle of having my hair coloured becauae she refused a bottle from her aunty!

All last night and today my son has refused to nurse even though he's hungry :(

He had his jabs on Monday and he's been whiney ever since, also yesterday I was feeding him and he suddenly stopped, pulled a shocked face and started screaming. He then totally froze and went purple in the face:cry: We had a really bad nights sleep and every time I try and lie him down he screams. If I try and get him to nurse he goes to latch and then starts to cry:nope:
He's happily taking bottles of ebm so I don't know what's wrong, could it be the jabs or the shock yesterday? I feel like I'm failing because I can't fix it

My suggestion would be to keep trying, even though its tough when it doesn't work! We struggled with latching/crying and pulling away until my son was several months old, but I found that trying different nursing positions helped as well as my hubby helping cram boob into our LO's face! Sounds silly, but it worked. Also definitely recommend skin-to-skin, bath times are great and relaxing for both and my little guy always thought it was a great time to eat, too ;) And for naps, strip down and and let him lie against your chest. When he wakes, he may instinctively zero in to nurse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->