baby's blood chord stored

dnlfinker

Reaction score
HI ,

Good Sunny afternoon to you,

I am involved in one of the kids related groups on Facebook, and here was the question brought up:

Did anyone here have their baby's blood chord stored?

I was wondering what is your guys opinion on this since we all experienced a loss recently

If somebody is not comfortable with this post , please let me know and I will be more then happy to delete. I appologize in advance , if I may offend anybody!

ALL THE BEST TO YOU!

Natalie

I didn't, I wasn't offered and doubt I would have TBH. I read quite a bit about this before I lost the boys and it can be a bit of a money-spinner for the people who organise it, playing on the fear of parents to get them to pay large storage fees for something "just in case". The chance of any subsequent baby having some exact problem that would require the chord blood is so remote and some problems (such as genetic problems or lukemia) could actually be worsened or re-started by the introduction of the stem cells from the cord, as far as I've read (as the original genetic material is still there, so could essentially "undo" any subsequent treatment). It was a while ago though I read about it so I can't remember the details fully, sorry. probably best to do some research of your own.

Why do you ask this - did you get the option to store some? I'd be interested to hear what reasons are suggested for storage, I like to keep an open mind where possible.

I had a option but we decided that we are going to donate it to the cord bank instead. I went into labor just before the tool kit arrived so I did not have a chance to donate it like planned. I lost my little girl at 18 weeks of pregnancy
because she had issues with her hand and possible system wide organ problems.
We were fighting for her life for 6 weeks , hoping that as she grows in the womb , we will be able to see what we were dealing with .As time passed, we saw that she had severe problem (misssing bones in her hand) and read that in a lot of kids with this kind of issues , there are systemic organ issues as well. I had to go in for D and E( the biggest mistake that I have ever made in my life).

So i know that in my case , the cord blood from my first child would not be able to safe her. I also regret not having the opportunity to donate it because I am so pro saving another baby's life. If only medical technology was able to build organs and bones, I would be holding the love of my life in another month :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'm sorry hon. :hug: . I really don't know enough about it but you were planning on doing a great thing, it's not your fault it couldn't happen, don't beat yourself up about it. it sucks that medical miracles can't always happen - they couldn't even do anything to save my babies who were fine except for a damned leak. I know how much you will be wishing it was different, I think we all will, always but must get to some point where we can accept, even if we still wish it was different. xxx

Awww Natalie it was not and is not your fault :cry::cry::cry: You wanted to do a beautiful thing for someone else, another life, it was not your fault it went the way it did. The point is your heart was in the right place :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: Natalie, It will be ok you did nothing wrong only right, please do not blame your self for anything you had no control over a lot of things. Can't wait to talk to you tonight :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: Please don't be upset :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I am so sorry chick :hugs:

I didnt donate/store it in th way you mean but I did donate it in a different way :thumbup:

I'm sorry Natalie :hugs:

We didnt get the option to donate it - as far as I know there are only a very few hospitals in the UK where this is actually an option.

I wasn't given an option to donate it, but I probably would have if it had been suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->