Babywearing on buses?

AFC84

Mama to One + Bun :)
Reaction score
I usually start off with LO in the pushchair when I get the bus to town but always take my wrap as after about 20-30mins he often starts grizzling and its just far less stressful with him in there. I just wanted to know people's thoughts on just not bothering taking the pushchair at all and whether this is safe?

I frequently go out with Adam in the sling, on buses and trains, with no pushchair. Never considered it might be a problem, in fact I prefer it really because London's buses are often so crowded I wouldn't get on with the pushchair. I definitely prefer train travel with the sling because I get extremely stressed when there is a big gap between the platform and the train, as there is at my home station, also steps and stairs with no lift.

I front carry, but I don't think I'd have a problem with a back carry on public transport, aside from not being able to see who LO is talking to :lol:

I do prefer the pushchair on longer days out, simply because LO sleeps better in it. He does nap in the sling but not so much.

I don't think it makes much difference safety wise on public transport. I don't think buggies or prams are tested for car/bus safety are they? Maybe if you were using a car seat on a travel system it might be a bit safer but not much cos it wouldn't be anchored to anything proper.

When I wear LO on the bus/tube, I always try to stand so that if there was an accident, her head would be protected as much as possible. I wear her on my front so I stand facing the back of the bus (so she's facing the front) because it would be most likely that her head would be thrown towards the front of the bus in an accident and I want my chest to stop her head moving far.

we use the sling on the bus, not had any problems with it except he gets wriggly if i sit down for too long

I loved going out with just baby in the carrier - no pushchair was great, i felt a lot more free!

The only issue I have is that I wear LO on my front and a packpack for a changing bag. People often offer me a seat but I'd rather stand cos it's a pain taking a backpack off on a crowded bus!

Thanks ladies, it was just that the one time I tried it I got some really dodgy looks off people so it got me wondering if it was a big no-no! Now that I think about it I do [apparently, I never notice] get some funny looks babywearing just walking about town, I think people here just aren't too used to it.

Im intending on wearing the freedom ring sling on the bus as it wud be alot less hassell than taking the pram....just gotta watch out for those dodgy basingstoke bus drivers that like to hit the kirbs :p

I very rarely use my pushchair, it's more for other people to use with Daphne. We get the bus often as I don't drive and it's perfect as not always able to get on with a pushchair. I love that she is able to see so much more on the bus and often she bubbles and smiles at the people around her. She has taken to playing peek-a-boo with the people behind my back now!

I use the ergo these days which is great for the bus, as I can put her on my front for the bus and then change her onto a back carry without having to remove her when we get off.

If you can sit/stand backwards than that's the safest for LO as they will be forward facing.

Haha very true Charlie! I had a few times where I had to wait for the next but because there wasn't space for the pram so don't have to worry about that now, loads easier :)

Thanks Quaints, aww that's cute :) How do you do that with the Ergo? Just readjust it and twist it round? Sorry, not seen one in person and I couldn't figure it out from the website. Don't think I could sit backwards on the bus without puking though :lol:

Haha very true Charlie! I had a few times where I had to wait for the next but because there wasn't space for the pram so don't have to worry about that now, loads easier :)

Thanks Quaints, aww that's cute :) How do you do that with the Ergo? Just readjust it and twist it round? Sorry, not seen one in person and I couldn't figure it out from the website. Don't think I could sit backwards on the bus without puking though :lol:

I *think* if you wear LO on your back, you would be best facing forwards. It's like all the info you get about facing car seats - most accidents that happen are with the vehicle being hit from behind, so the force carries the baby's head towards the front of the vehicle. In a car seat, you want the baby to be facing backwards so that they're pushed into the seat rather than forwards out of it, but if you're babywearing the support (your body) is in front of them rather than behind them so the opposite applies. You want them to be facing forwards, with you in front of them. So if they're on your front, you should face backwards so that their head would be pushed forwards into your chest. If they're on your back, you should face forwards so that their head is pushed forwards into your back. If you stood the other way round, the baby's head would be pushed backwards out of the carrier, and I don't know of any carriers that have a rigid enough head rest to stop possible serious damage to baby's neck.

i cant use my carrier now i have two kids cos leylas not walking enough yet to be able to not have the buggy, she walks really well but she gets tired easily so having the buggy is a lifesaver when she gets tired and grumpy, i used to take leyla out on buses a lot though in her sling but i always worried shed be too hot on the bus with all the layers on lol, manys the time i took her out of the sling on the bus cos we were both absolutely sweating...

x

If I'm worried about that, I put some layers on her outside of the carrier. We have a babyhawk so I either wear a bit shawl/scarf thing myself and wrap it round us both or have a blanket wrapped around the back of the carrier and tucked in the sides around her front - really easy to take off if it gets warm :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->