Back Pain at a Desk Based Job 34 weeks - Any Tips?

Tinky_82

Mummy to a DS
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for dealing with back pain at work? Mine is getting worse by the day - currently 34 weeks and have another 2 and a bit weeks left in work. I'm in a desk based job so I sit all day but do get up for breaks a lot.

Kneeling seems the most comfy but I can't afford one of those special kneeling chairs.

Anything you ladies have found that helps much appreciated.

I kept a box under my desk that I used to prop my feet up. I also made sure to get up and stretch a lot on my water/bathroom breaks. Hope you feel better!

Have you got cushions that you can use? Other than that maybe getting up more regularly and having a stretch.

I use a pillow behind my lower back so it's well supported and also use a hot water bottle as it helps with the pain.

Have you tried sitting on a birthing ball at your desk? I've known people to use them instead of a chair.

^^^ I have taken my ball into work. I also picked up a lumber support back thingy from poundland.
Some days it's just a walk and a back stretch that'll do.

I am 34 weeks as well and have been sitting on an exercise ball and when I sit in my chair I have a little stool for my feet. Also making an effort not to cross legs as I think it makes it worse. Oh and I got one of those bean bag heating packs for when it gets really bad. I leave work in 2 1/2 weeks too! Hope something helps out :)

Check to see if there are any other chairs in your office that might be more comfortable or that you can make ergonomically customizable.

Make sure you get up every hour and stretch. I also use a properly angled foot rest (you can get them at any office supply store).

It's a horrible feeling! Mine is starting to kick in - getting very stiff and achey :( Can't wait for mat leave in 6 weeks.

My back was really bad last pregnancy, so I found a chiropractor who works on pregnant ladies and that helped A TON.

This time around, I made sure to lift up my chair, find something to prop my feet on, and raised up my computer monitors so I'm not looking down or hunched over. That has helped more than I thought it ever would, and I don't even really need the chiropractor this time around.

Oh, and I also had them take the arm rests off my chair, because that was making me hunch my shoulders up. :)

Since you are in the UK your work should be doing a risk assesment. This may mean thay they have to find you a more suitable chair.

Thanks ladies, some great suggestions think I might try my ball and a heat pad first and see if I can through next two weeks - can't wait to finish now

Oh lord, I know how you feel, it's awful isn't it? Especially after lunch. To add to tips here, I find going for a short 5 min walk every now and again really helps. And, strangely, I noticed yesterday that I felt better when I lounged right back in chair but that goes against all the tips I got in my occupational assessment! Good luck!

Oh, I forgot to mention I have a post-it note stuck to the bottom of my monitor that says "SIT UP STRAIGHT." It actually works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->