Bad news blood results

Annie77

Cautiously expecting
Reaction score
I have just been phoned by midwife. 4 weeks ago my hb was 106/10.6 and so I tried to eat more red meat, sprouts and remember my prenatal tablets. However my blood test yesterday has come back at 10 so she is organising iron tablets for me and is taking more bloods tomorrow to check vitamin b, Folic acid and liver function. She said it is really important to get my iron up ASAP before birth & my Braxton hicks (which have been sore) may actually be a warning of premature labour.

Have been up all night with dd2 who has a raging temperature and has been vomiting most of night and day so this is not what I wanted to hear :-(

Awwww my iron levels came back low too so I'm on the tablets too. I'm having lots of
Braxton hicks and never knew this could be due to lack of iron? The tablets will sort you out though xxx

My iron levels are fine and have been having BH for 10 weeks now and at high risk of premature labour due to almost no cervix and I'm 32 weeks and still baby is in there. The BH are annoying but have not started labour for me.

:( hopefully the iron tablets will sort out your iron quickly and you'll feel stronger. I was on three iron tablets a day with my first pregnancy, avoided it my second, but this one I have been one one iron tablet a day since before 30 weeks, not ideal but not that bad either.

I'm a bit anxious re the BH as when I attended the hospital after bleeding with my 1st daughter (had known placenta praevia) I was having real contractions every 4-5 minutes but was completely unaware.
The theory is that she was back to back and due to my old spinal injury I couldn't feel the contractions. I had strong BH with my 2nd and when I went for consultant appt with monitoring, the midwife said they were good contractions and expected me to be dilated to some extent. How can I tell what is BH and what are early / real contractions ?

My iron level was also 10 on my last blood test. I am high risk for blood loss after delivery so this isn't the best news. This week I've been on two iron tablets a day (210mg) and I'm really hoping they bump my levels. I was really hoping for a normal delivery this time but it's not looking hopeful.

Hope the iron tablets help you x

I thought iron tablets took like three months to really up levels. Is that not true? I've been on iron since November - fun times.

Have you tried other non-haem (non animal) sources of iron? Although generally haem iron is more easily absorbed this isn't the case with everyone

https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

Also perhaps consider a different form of iron than the typical NHS iron tablets. Such as ferrous gluconate. The iron in the bog standard tabs isn't easily absorbed hence them causing constipation and black stools as most of the iron in them passes out in poo. Xx

ETA: however you're getting your iron make sure you're taking it with vitamin C alongside, either taking with orange juice or a vitamin C tablet

I thought iron tablets took like three months to really up levels. Is that not true? I've been on iron since November - fun times.

It probably depends on the dosage maybe. If it was very severe they could give it IV so don't worry too much x

Aw hon... It's very common to have low iron during pregnancy. Iron tabs should clear that up. Braxton hicks can be uncomfy. Try not to stress, and try to eat some more iron rich foods. Xx

My issue is that since my last blood test I have eaten red meat 5 x weekly, eaten sprouts or broccoli EVERYDAY and taken my prenatal with fresh orange juice. I have cut out diet soda all together and don't drink tea or coffee.
I eat dried apricots and raisins daily too as advised. My blood was sent away today and they are checking for vit b & folic acid deficiency and also liver tests due tk itchy hands.

I've been on iron/folic acid supplements twice a day since Jan, and it's only barely maintaining my low levels. I eat lots of red meat, I eat lots of fruit and vegies, and I am also at a high risk for excessive blood loss at delivery. Sometimes it's just hard to keep those levels any higher and it's very common during pregnancy. I have never heard that low iron is a risk for preterm labour, and have been having BH quite strong for weeks now (I'm only 25 weeks). My cervix is shortening as well, but I don't think the BH have a lot to do with it.

I had them throughout all my other pregnancies and in the last one were so strong it was hard to differentiate between them and the real thing and I walked around 3cm dilated for 3 weeks - just put your feet up, drink some pineapple juice (if you add some chopped up fresh parsley to it, it will increase iron absorbtion, but it tastes gross!), and rest. Baby will come when they're ready - try to relax and not stress about having to have iron supplements. :)

I wouldn't say that's bad news Hun, it's very common for pregnancy to induce anaemia. The demand by bubs is so high it is difficult for our body to keep up. No shame in having supplements :) sounds like your pretty good with your diet too :) good on you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->