Bad sperm morphology ~ what can we do?

My dh literally has a cocktail of pills to take in the mornings! He's on maca (a peruvian root that's supposed to help with fertility in general...especially sperm count), multi-vit, and like 4 pycnolgel (still don't remember how to spell it!)

Hopefully it'll all work! It's hard with supplements, because you never know if they're really working or not. :shrug: Worth a try!

hi ladies

We just had our first fertility appt as my OH morph was only 2% normal, our consultant has said as his count and motility is fairly good he isnt too worried at the moment but if his count doesnt improve we will be looking at IVF/ICSI (not sure how long we have to wait to go for that though) but my OH is now on wellman and co enzyme q10 and this is meant to be good for the wrigglers, will let you know at this next test if the vits have improved anything!

Seems such a long journey at times but is going to be so worth the wait.xx

My DH's morphology is also at 2%. We are retesting since the SA was six months ago. My doctor tried to scare us in to IVF (can't afford it) and told us there was little to no chance IUI would work. That didn't make my husband happy and it didn't make me happy when the Doc said there was nothing we could do to fix it.
Thanks to internet research, I ordered fertility multi-vitamins for the both of us and talked to the nurse practitioner of the practice who gave me a little more hope IUI would have a better chance of working than the doctor said.
Glad to hear someone got pregnant naturally with only 2% morphology.
I am hoping we will try our first round of IUI sometime in July

Thanks for this, I too have poor results post-VR. I started taking WELLMAN conception multi-vitamins, but strangely enough, the results were poorer after second SA. Definitely some useful links there, that I'll follow up on, and generally adjust my diet. Fingers crossed.

Hi! Just wanted to post my experience with this, my DH morph with his last two samples was always 4% when we went for our IVF consultation the MD didn't seem concerned he said 4% of 40million is good whereas 4% of say 1million is not. I think what he was trying to say was its not just if the morphs low your screwed cos if the other parameters are good it works out ok.
This being said for four months I've had my husband on a number of things, I'll list them below. The good news is on our first IVF cycle last week his morph was 7% When you ink about it it nearly doubled which is amazing.

Folic acid 400mcg - in prenatal tablet
Zinc 30mg, 15mg prenatal & 1 tablet 15mg
Selenium 200mcg, 150mcg in prenatal & 1 tablet 50mcg
Omega 3 1000mg - 1 tablet 1000mg
B12 1000mcg - 75mcg prenatal, 1 tablet 1000mcg
B6 50mg requirement - 10mg prenatal, 1 tablet 50mg
Vitamin E 800iu - 2 tablets
Vitamin C 1000mg a day - 1 tablet 1000mg*
L-Arginine 500mg - 1 tablet 500mg
L-Canitine 500mg - 1 tablet
L taurine 500mg - 1 tablet
Coenzyme q10 30mg - 1 tablet
Maca 1000mg a day - 2 tablets a day
Wellman - 1 tablet a day
Flaxseed*- 1 tablet a day
Magnesium 250mg - 1 tablet a day
Calcium 600mg a day - 1 tablet a day

And the one last thing he took was pycnogenol, a study was carried out on morphology using this. The link below is to the results.

https://www.chiroonline.net/_fileCabinet/pycnog_pub.pdf

I hope this helps.

If your husband has 7% morphology that isn't bad at all. Don't let any doctors tell you that it is. My first morph test I got 1%. I think the next one was like 4% or something. We got pregnant and have an awesome one year old with IUI even though we though we thought we would most likely have to go with IVF.

Now we are pregnant a 2nd time without any treatment whatsoever. The first month my wife got her period back we started trying thinking it would take forever. My wife is now at 12 weeks.

So either the doctors don't really know exactly what is going on, morphology is only a tiny part of the whole picture, the vitamins I took and lowered stress levels helped my morphology, or we were extremely extremely extremely lucky. My bet is that it had something to do with the first few mentioned above. Here is what I took.

Mega Men Multi
Co-Q-10
Fish Oils
L-Carnitine
pycnogenol

Good luck and don't assume the worst.

Hi All!

So, its like my hubby got his semen analysed and the numbers are like:

Sperm count: 60 million/ml
Total sperm no. per ejaculate: 72 million/ml
Viscosity: normal
pH: Alkaline
Progressive Motility: 55%
Non-progressive motility: 10%
Immotile: 35%
Agglutination: None
Morphology: Normal 20%, Abnormal: 80%
Fructose test: Present

do we have anything to worry about? We're a li'l upset about the Morhology figures.

Hi All!

So, its like my hubby got his semen analysed and the numbers are like:

Sperm count: 60 million/ml
Total sperm no. per ejaculate: 72 million/ml
Viscosity: normal
pH: Alkaline
Progressive Motility: 55%
Non-progressive motility: 10%
Immotile: 35%
Agglutination: None
Morphology: Normal 20%, Abnormal: 80%
Fructose test: Present

do we have anything to worry about? We're a li'l upset about the Morhology figures.

Morphology could be improved by taking antioxidants and have him stay away from alcohol and toxins but other then that it looks great. 20% is not bad though and shouldn't keep you from conceiving .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->