Bathtime!

Linzi

Prodest mummy ever
Reaction score
Just was wondering... at the hospital they told us just to use water and cotton wool to clean Seth, and not to use anything else but they didn't say when it was ok to use anything else.

Wondering when it's ok to start using baby oil in particular, but also things like talc, head to toe wash etc? Im worried that if we don't use it he'll get dry skin, but if we do it'll be worse.

Also when is it ok to bathe him? Again we were told at the hospital not to, but they didn't say when it was ok. We've just been topping and tiling him veery day!

xxx

They really told you not to bathe the baby? :shock: my word! I would bathe him when you want hun but a couple of times a week is adequate at the minute :) or when they do a particularly messy nappy :D

tbh I would just use water at the minute or a teeny squirt of johnsons head to toe, its very mild.

Yeah they said not to while his umbillical cord thingy was still on. It's come off now but it's still healing and I think I should be washing it but I have no idea what Im supposed to be doing or anything! I have so many questions! lol

xxx

At hospital, with both my babies, they bathed them for me (to show me how to do it apparently) and they were about 12 hours old. I would bathe him when you think its right to do so... it doesnt matter that his umbilical cord is still on, that needs to be kept clean, and the best way to do that is to bathe them so you dont actually wash it, just let it soak for 5-10 minutes.

If you want to PM me with any questions feel free. :)

i know talk isnt advised as it gets in their lungs. I bathed Oscar in the hosp, was just carefull with the cord, and put baby lotion on him. The only thing he had trouble with was when I used wet wipes, he had a little sore on his sack so to speak :lol: bless....so i used water for a good while. he's ok now though with the sensitive wipers.

they bathed Kira 6 hours after i had her, i just made sure that the umbilcior core was dry i used and a cotton wool to dry round it.

he should be fine to bath him, just make sure u make sure his tummy botton his dry completly.

I gave a bath to our son about 6 hrs after he was born !

Now he gets one every night with johnson calming lotion ..only thing is i dont put him in his lil bath tub I get in the bath with him after i shower myself :)
hes a lil swimmer at 4 weeks old |:)

Thanks for all the replies. Its so nerve wrecking trying to work all this out on my own, Im so pleased I have this place! lol

We've just been using water on his bum unless we've gone out somewhere Ive used sensetive wipes.

Im going to try giving him a bath tomorrow. Im terrified lol

xxx

I thought they werent meant to let you out hospital until they showed you how to bath a baby..? What they told me anyway.

I started using johnsons lavender nightime bubblebath when kyle was around 6 weeks. And when hes maybe got sick in his hair or something I use Johnsons top to toe wash.

I cant believe they told you not to bath him!

I didn't give Brennan a bath for the first week. Now I only give him one every couple of days. Since his bellybutton is still healing, I don't get it wet. I use Weleda's Calendula Shampoo and body wash. Then I use the Weleda Calendula Baby Cream all over his body. The cream is amazing!!! It feels greasy when its on me, but his skin just soaks it up, and it leaves him feeling soft and smooth and he has not had much peeling skin.

Linzi, out of curiosity, where did you have Seth? Ours were born at Jimmy's and we had a bath lesson before I left, admittedly we were in transitional ward rather than normal ward and it was on day 4.

That said we didn't bath them for a few days, maybe a week till we felt we had time and the nerve to have a go! From a couple of weeks old they have had a bath every night and from a few months... maybe 3ish... they had bubble bath. Whatever baby bubble bath was in the shop at the time. Supermarket own brand has been fine.

Not used talc for the reason someone else gave about it getting on their lungs. We haven't used baby oil, but we do use cream... Johnsons nightime stuff. Makes me wanna sleep anyway!

Rhiannon was bathed twice in hospital and once by a support worker who used johnsons and she was up tro her neck in bubbles (got cute pic of it)..was told by m/w and h/v it was ok to bath her with her cord on just not to put anything in the bath and to make sure it was dried afterwards.ive been bathing her every night since she was 2wks old so she knew as part of her routine that it was bedtime after bathtime..
i use johnsons shampoo and johnsons nighttime bath wash, i do use talc but put it on a piece of cotton wool first then only rub it in her leg and arm creases..

what i found helpfull...
1) lay everything i needed out before running the bath
2)bath thermormeters (sp?) made my LO's bath feel cold, now i go by my elbow
3)bathed her around the same time every night (give or take 30mins)

hope this helps XXX

I didn't bathe Izzie for the first 10 days until her cord fell off. Now I only bathe her every couple of days or when she has a blow out in her diaper. DH does a rub down with lotion every night. I put her in the bath with me when I take one and she LOVES it!

Seth had his first bath yesterday. I was so scared but he absolutely loved it! We put some drops of baby oil in the water because he has quite a lot of dry skin :(

xxx

Jack was bathed in the hospital when he was 2 days old and the midwife bathed him to show us how to do it correctly. He had VERY dry skin though so we had to use extra virgin oil everyday for like a week and it's finally cleared up! :)
I was told it's ok to bathe them as long as you use water.

Putting a bit of olive oil on with cotton wool is great for dry skin in the first couple of weeks x

callum had really dry skin when he was born and i used baby oil on him and he was fine.

he has a bath every night, doesnt always need one but its part of his bedtime routine now, and i have always used a little head to toe wash on his body and dentinox shampoo, he has quite a lot of cradle cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->