Beavers

MrsT&Ben

Reaction score
I know my son has a few years to go before he can attend but I just wondered if anyone's child had been and liked it?
Would you recommend it? What sort of things do they get up to?

Thank you :flower:

I can't really answer properly as Daniel hasn't started yet. He will be starting in September though.

I don't actually know what they do there as i've never looked into it. The main reason he is going is because my OH has always been involved with scouts. Up until we had the two children OH was a scout leader - he still would be now if he had his way but i needed him home a bit more (we are also involved in church and it meant that OH would be out up to 4 nights a week with scouts and church). Because of OH's involvement he has always wanted Daniel to go so we put his name down for OH's troop when he was about 2 years old.

I would recommend that if you want your son to go then you put his name down soon. Because of the fact that they now allow girls (grumble, but that's another story lol) it can be really hard to get your child in, especially if you leave it too late. Quite often the troops that have a waiting list are likely to be the ones that are a bit more exciting etc. The troop Daniel is going into has huge waiting lists going right through from Beavers to Scouts because it's really good (it's also in a different town to us so we've done well to get Daniel in).

The one thing that i do know that they will do is a night or 2 away, kind of camping but at their age they do it inside rather than in a tent in the open. I think that the child can't go at 6 but i think they can at 7.

I think they only bad thing about it is the fact that it's another uniform to buy lol. I'm quite excited about Daniel going.

Hubby and I were always involved in Scouting, but haven't done anything practical for the last 5-6 years. After all the years we've put into entertaining other people's (mostly teenagers), our brood are most definately going to Beavers!

....even though they are all girls, sorry RachA:blush: (I would have killed to have been a Scout as a child rather than a brownie and guide as I did)

Even though we have another year before the oldest can start, we've got their names down on the waiting list, just to be on the safe side :winkwink:

Hubby and I were always involved in Scouting, but haven't done anything practical for the last 5-6 years. After all the years we've put into entertaining other people's (mostly teenagers), our brood are most definately going to Beavers!

....even though they are all girls, sorry RachA:blush: (I would have killed to have been a Scout as a child rather than a brownie and guide as I did)

Even though we have another year before the oldest can start, we've got their names down on the waiting list, just to be on the safe side :winkwink:

That's ok-I won't hold it against you :)
I was actually talking to OH about this last night. He was totally against girls being able to join scouts etc, partly due to the fear of having activities limited due to girls being there who wanted to go to scouts but didn't want to join in the some of the stuff they did. There were a few on the team who were against it but obviously hands were tied and girls allowed.
Now our daughter is actually a girl who would love to do the things they do at scouts etc but OH has said that she won't be able to go to the beavers/cubs/scouts that he was involved in because of how vocal he was about not letting girls in lol. So if we decide we do want her to go then she'll have to go to a different troop.
Personally I think they aught to make rainbows/brownies/guides more interesting as I do actually like the idea of boys being able to go off and do activities in their own and girls being able to do the same.

I'll get off my soapbox now :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->