beginning to resent breastfeeding

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
Dd is now 16 days old. From day one we have had latch issues and I've been back and forth to breastfeeding clinics. the midwives keep changing their minds as to whether she has posterior tongue tie. My left nipple has a huge crack in it and a hole. I now have mastitis and feeding has gone from very painful to excruciating. My right nipple is also wrecked. I use lansinoh all the time.

After her cluster feeding sessions I end up offering a small formula top up as I'm in agony. But she still won't settle to sleep without comfort sucking on my breast. I hardly spend time with my toddler which is upsetting me and him. I feel so ill and so tired.

I don't know if I want to do this any more.

Haveyou tried introducing a dummy and giving her to OH for recovery?

Dd is now 16 days old. From day one we have had latch issues and I've been back and forth to breastfeeding clinics. the midwives keep changing their minds as to whether she has posterior tongue tie. My left nipple has a huge crack in it and a hole. I now have mastitis and feeding has gone from very painful to excruciating. My right nipple is also wrecked. I use lansinoh all the time.

After her cluster feeding sessions I end up offering a small formula top up as I'm in agony. But she still won't settle to sleep without comfort sucking on my breast. I hardly spend time with my toddler which is upsetting me and him. I feel so ill and so tired.

I don't know if I want to do this any more.

No advice here, just ((hugs)). I can totally empathize as I had serious pain in the beginning. I hope you find an answer soon.

I would be weary of giving formula, she is probably trying to increase your supply for the three week growth spurt. you can take ibuprofen for the pain but feeding can really help mastitis. do you have a pump? you could alternate pumping each side between feeds to give your breasts a break xx

Still persevering! I've been pumping after to ensure breast is empty. I'm grinning and bearing it as I want to get to the 4 week mark and then see how I feel.

Get a second opinion about her tongue. Some ties don't look bad but can cause massive issues, while others look awful but barely make a difference to the latch. If you're in pain, something is wrong.

Try salt water rinses to help heal your nipples, and really concentrate on getting her latch right every time. I had to pinch and support my boob throughout the feed to stop my nipple slipping. Try different positions.

You're in the middle of the hardest part of BFing. The early weeks getting established are draining and are when you encounter latch issues and pain, as well as cluster feeds and growth spurts. Concentrate on one feed at a time, don't worry about tomorrow or even the next feed. Just get through each feed as it comes - small goals will keep you motivated.

Have a look at the 'milk matters' website-it's run by the analytical armadillo and explains a bit more about ties. Seek a second opinion. And hang in there-once you're over these initial hurdles, BFing is easy. It's just quite a bit of work initially!

You can do it, mama :hugs:

It only gets better with time!

I found that nipple creams make it worse n best thing to do is use your breastmilk to soothe. Also have they not given you a nipple shield??

i did a 24 hr rest for each side when i was sore - alternate sides

so feed from one then before next feed pump from other side to keep supply up and gave it to baby in bottle

also did air drying nipples, sheilds , breast milk, paracetamol, took a few days to get past it but it worked

justkitty I admire you for sticking with bfing this long,things haven't been easy for you at all.you're doing great.hopefully you'll get to reach your 4 week goal taking one feed at a time :) xxx

Thank you palm tree. I took dd to a cranial osteopath and she has a tight upper jaw so is over compensating with lower
Jaw so chomping. Hopefully a couple of treatments will help. Still going. But now have more plugged ducts in my mastitis boob so seriously fed up of pain. Plus dd has tummy pain from my antibiotics so nights arent fun

hopefully the mastitis will settle up asap now you're on antibiotics. I feel your pain with the night time, I was on antibiotics too and it made my lo very very windy and unsettled. you're doing so so well and seem determined, much more than I would be if I've gone through half of your hurdles!sending lots of hugs xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->