Being induced - what extra would you definitely add to your hospital bag?

August3

Mum of 2
Reaction score
So have been told I will be induced on Monday 30th if baba hasn't made an appearance by then (at 39+2 that's unlikely). I have to go into maternity between 2 and 4pm the evening before.

What "sanity savers" should I pack if it proves to be a lengthy affair?

Here's my list so far....

• eye mask
  • ear plugs
  • a good novel
  • magazines
  • plenty of data credit on my phone
  • some snacks

and updated with suggestions from below
  • comfy pj bottoms
  • ipod
  • make up and little mirror
  • dvd player and boxset
  • chapstick
  • slipper socks
  • extra clothes in the car
  • tens machine
  • some cash/ small change
  • hand held fan
  • nightgowns not just pjs

Would really appreciate any suggestions :flower:

Thanks,
August

Not sure if you're in the UK or US but I made sure to have
Slipper socks with the grips on the bottom
Phone /ipad charger
If youre BFing-
Nursing bra
Button down shirt or pj's so you don't have to keep taking clothes off to BF.

How about an I pod type thing for music. I listened to music in labour, no way could I have read anything, though if you have an epi it might be different!

Thanks folks - yes I have an ipod with a hypnobirthing podcast loaded onto it, must definitely remember that.

I feel a bit clueless about the whole induction process tbh, am imagining it taking ages for the gels to work. I have visions of walking hospital corridors for days, lol.

I have gestational diabetes and if my blood sugar numbers go loopy, I will be hooked up to a drip and monitor and have to stay put, if that happens I will really need ideas to stop me going doolally.

Idk if your recovery room will have a DVD player but I would bring some movies to watch as the TV gets pretty boring. And comfy PJ pants are a must!

Extra clothes hun when I was induced I ended up with a csection and not enough clothes for me or dd1

are you asking about things to entertain you or the whole hospital bag in general? chap stick for sure! I've been induced twice and remember being super dry. they didn't let me eat or drink anything but some ice. phone and charger for sure! little personal mirror and some makeup to feel good!

I second a dvd player, and a box set of something. The induction may not take for ages, and I found a book difficult to concentrate on. When I was induced with my last I gave birth 24 hours later, which was great but the lady next to me who was given the pessary 15 minutes before was only just going into labour when I left - so 36 hours later!! Not saying that will happen to you but just in case...

Thank you for the suggestions of what extra to add to hospital bag to stave of boredom and to cope with maybe a longer than expected stay. I have all the regular stuff packed already. With my daughter labour was all over start to finish in 6 hours and 47 mins!! I should be so lucky again.

Have just bought a new set of my makeup basics to keep in my hospital bag. Good idea to have extra clothes in the boot that DH can just bring as I need. I could only imagine what he might grab if left to his own devices. Must investigate the possibility of hiring a tens machine locally.

Some cash for the little hospital shop or cafe, I ended up wandering down to the shop a few times. Also a little hand held fan, they keep the temp way up in hospitals and if you're anything like I was you'll be overheated by pregnancy anyway

After I gave birth I was hemorrhaging and needed a catheter but had only brought pants, so maybe a couple nightgowns just in case you need them.

Thanks ladies. I had thought of having change for the parking meter but not for the shop, Wannabe Mommy, a magazine or the paper might be very welcome.

Sorry to hear that you suffered haemorrhaging mac1979 Have packed some nightgowns as good advice in case a catheter is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->