Being unreasonable?

mammag

Expecting a Rainbow
Reaction score
My five year old wants to go play in the neighbor boys yard. With my older 8 year old. It's two houses down. I said no, I don't think it's a good idea. He cried and cried about how unfair it was. I said that just because he is too little to do something, doesn't mean his brother can't do it either. That, that would be really unfair. But anyway, not my question. Is he too little to let him go? Am I being overprotective making him stay here?

I would say he's too little to go on his own, but if there was a parent watching all three boys then I wouldn't see the problem. The younger kids always want to do what the bigger kids are doing, but aren't always capable. I can understand why you wouldn't want him to go because of that. I think it depends on what they're doing. If its something simple like hide and seek or kicking a ball around then sure I would let him go(only with supervision) but if it's something that would go completely over his head, then no, I wouldn't because it would most likely just frustrate him and make him feel left out.

That's a toughy, sorry. It all really depends on the activity. :shrug:

But this is all just my opinion and im only carrying my first kid now so what would I know? Lol.

If the garden was closed/secure and the boys mum doesn't mind watching them I'd say it would be ok.

I wouldn't let my five year old do that either. It would be one thing if there was a parent (that I knew and trusted) was there to keep an eye on things, but otherwise: nope. My DD always wants to go out and ride her bike with the other, older kids in the neighborhood and I've seen some kids younger than her out there doing it, but I just don't think she's ready and would be too nervous to let her out of my sight in those circumstances.

If he goes with his elder brother, I don't see any problem.

I guess it depends on how well the family are known.

If my son wanted to go next door to play with the little girl there i wouldn't have a problem with it and if my nearly 3 year old wanted to go too then i wouldn't have a problem either. Having said that i can see right into their garden lol.

If Daniel wanted to go over the road to play with the boy who lives there then as long as his mum or dad were there i wouldn't have a problem either. But i wouldn't allow Esther to go with them.

I your situation, as long as your younger child wasn't getting in the way of the older one and as long as there was a parent there to look after them then i wouldn't see it as a problem at all - unless you are not overly happy about the family.

I think I would have been inclined to let him go,depending how well you know them or invite them all to play at yours

If the garden was closed/secure and the boys mum doesn't mind watching them I'd say it would be ok.

Agree with this. My daughter will go with her brother and I have friends that come over to our yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->