Benefit cap of £26k?

lindseymw

Mother of two boys
Reaction score
Government are proposing to cap the maximum amount of benefits that one family can claim is £26k. (The average working family income) Many people have said that this figure is too low for a family to survive on.

What do you think?

We bring in around £30k before Tax/NI, & we are quite able to afford a relatively comfortable lifestyle. (We don't go on holiday, but can afford to go for a couple of drinks, have full TV/internet, mobile phones etc, all of which I see as luxuries, not essentials).

We've survived perfectly well on that kind of money for a number of years. Like you we don't have many holidays but I wouldn't say we struggle - well we do sometimes but we have a lot of luxuries that we could cut down on - two cars, sky tv, iPhones, I never think twice about buying clothes etc for lo.

I think its high time such a cap was in place, benefits should not be there for people to have luxuries and holidays, they should be there for food and warmth!

I think that is a really brilliant idea. The amount people get in housing benefit alone down south astounds me.
I dont see why people claim benefits should have a better life style than those who dont.

I think its a great idea and tbh I dont see why (unless is disablity benefits) its above Min Nat Wage.

Yes JSA? maybe only be what £50/£60 a week but when your paying no rent and no council tax and getting reduced water rates and can get reduced gas and electric and get the special payments if it belowe 0? for a week..

I think a 26k cap is still too generous

Hmm.. do people really get more than 26k in benefits!? Since OH walked out on me when I got pregnant, I've been stuck on benefits with 4 children, soon to be 5... in Cornwall (2nd highest rent/housing benefit area in UK) and I don't get 26k! lol

Hmm.. do people really get more than 26k in benefits!? Since OH walked out on me when I got pregnant, I've been stuck on benefits with 4 children, soon to be 5... in Cornwall (2nd highest rent/housing benefit area in UK) and I don't get 26k! lol

It includes the total from housing benefit, tax credits, income support/JSA, council tax relief etc. So in some places, rent is £400 a week (yes, a week), £400x52=£20,600, then obviously you have the rest that amount up after that. It doesn't mean £26k cash the persons hand.

I fully support the cap.

The cap ONLY affects those families that DO NOT work and that rely soley on benefits. I think it's a fab idea.

So it means those living on benefits in London etc will have to move as housing benefit will no longer cover their rent... so fecking bet it!

actually its a bit more long-winded than that, the councils in london are basically controlled by the landlords who decide how much rent they want to charge (up to 4/500 a week) and the council just pays it, its an incredibly corrupt situation going on there

so this cap will basically stop this continual man made inflation which is forcing any working, reasonable person in London from being able to afford accommodation

I think its a good idea, there are a lot of working families that survive on wages much lower than that. Benefits for those who are able to work aren't supposed to be a lifestyle, it's supposed to be there to help people while they are going through hardship, not for generations to be brought up on it, I don't know if they're already planning to but there should be a limit for how long people can be on benefits to make sure that people can't take advantage of it.

I do agree but it could be bad for some people who have no choice?

Oh absolutely some families will really struggle. Those that have to relocate and those with masses of kids raised on benefits...

But for the average family... the capped max is plenty high enough. This doesn't affect disability benefits so we're talking about the working "able"... how many of those would truly have no choice about returning to work if they are negatively affected by the changes? xx

Holy krap.
We bring in about that much with child benefit and child tax credits aswell as OH's wage. We manage fine, we can still go out once a month, afford some naughty foods and mobiles aswell as tv and internet!

It does seem to be a more than fair amount to cap. I never understood why people lived in places with such high rent!

actually its a bit more long-winded than that, the councils in london are basically controlled by the landlords who decide how much rent they want to charge (up to 4/500 a week) and the council just pays it, its an incredibly corrupt situation going on there

so this cap will basically stop this continual man made inflation which is forcing any working, reasonable person in London from being able to afford accommodation

Agree completely with this; I know many people who have been evicted from their homes in London because they are only entitled to partial or no housing benefit and their landlord jacks up the rent to what the council would pay in full had that family been on full benefit-when they can't afford to pay he or she kicks them out. Not only that but to maximise profits landlords put absolutely none of this money back into the house they are renting out so there are a lot of homes in London that are absolutely squalid :nope: the councils often have to take these landlords to court just to make them do a few essential repairs. It is really corrupt and in some boroughs the council really will pay anything, one guy my OH knew there wasn't anywhere he could live in Westminster (where he was based and was on the council list with), so the council put him up in a one bedroom flat in our area, it was a messed up studio flat above a shop and the landlord asked westminster to pay £430 a week and they said ok! Other similar flats in the area were going for about £120-£150 a week xx

Agree with the above also! A friend of mine, a single man, and his father were put in emergency accomodation by the council while they waited for an available council house. They were placed in a 4 bedroom cottage, and the council were paying £400 a WEEK for it. Yes, Cornwall does have the 2nd highest rental prices of the UK, but £400 a week is a stupid amount for a 2 single men!! Or even a stupid amount for a 4 bed cottage fullstop actually! That is the higher end of the 4 bed rental around here.

£400 a week!! God my rent is only £550 a month! Was their not a couple on the tv not long ago lived on full benefits of over £60,000 and was moaning it was too little as the kids had to share games consoles!

LOL @ kids having to share games consoles!! Some people!

I agree with capping benefits; however, to say people living in high cost areas of the country should move seems unfair. Should London be the des-res of the wealthy? Depending on the individual situation I.e. someone who isn't looking hard to work vs someone who is...someone on low income etc, the cap should be adjusted accordingly. Low income families in London need support, too. We can't just shove them in some benefit-claimers ghetto? They have kids, in school...lives, families etc. As for low-income families...where would they go? Commuting costs are astronomical! These people need support, not shunting elsewhere.

Of course, there are always situations where people take the piss, but punish the cheats...not all claimants.

So, in short, a cap should be agreed...but individual circumstances should allow for reasonable adjustment.

But those people in those high-rental areas are in a situation where the landlords raise the rent because they CAN because the councils will just continue to pay it.

It needs to stop, this is a great way to make it stop.

No one is suggesting shunting people on, only that the rental arrangements should be fairer and more just, which would be better for everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->