Benefits advice please

Bexx

I'm a mum!
Reaction score
My hubby was recently fired from his job of 8 years. I have severe anxiety issues and haven't worked for 7 years, but have never claimed any benefits.

When hubby fills out the online entitlement forms for jobseeker's allowance, he has to put in my details as it asks if he is single or part of a couple and the result is that we would get the couple's allowance of £105. However, I am not in a position to work so is this wrong? Even though I will not be looking for work, are we really still entitled to the couple's rate of JSA?

I can't find anything online that explains exactly what you get if one partner is looking for work and the other is not. If he's only entitled to the single person allowance, that's fine, but it's so darn confusing!

Obviously we also have our 18-month old to look after if that changes anything.

Thanks for any advice. :)

im unsure, but you are entitled to child tax credits and disability allowance! possibly even Employment and Support Allowance hun. it can add up to quite a bit!! id phone the tax credit ppl and ask!

Thanks hun, will give them a bell tomorrow if they are open. It's just annoying me that I can't budget properly because I don't know what we're really entitled to.

I know I could possibly claim something for my anxiety, but to be honest I've found it so much hassle to get help for mental health problems in the past that I've kind of given up. And seeing how the govt is making all these cuts to benefits, I don't feel like I'd be treated very seriously trying to claim for anxiety. :(

Yes you can get the couples rate :) Dean claimed it,and because then I was a SAHM we got the couples rate...I also rung up and asked if I needed to be looking for work and they said no.xx

Thank hun, that's fantastic! I've been assuming he'd only get the single allowance, but that extra £35 a week would mean we could definitely pay the excess on our rent!

yup, we claimed as a couple too when OH lost his job. xx

Thanks hun!

Wow, I'm so chuffed we may get a bit more money than I expected! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back