Benefits of Doppler use in late pregnancy??

Munchkin30

1 DD,2 losses, Pregnant!!
Reaction score
Hey all,

Having lost babies at 12 and 21 weeks I am now nearly 31 weeks and terrified of stillbirth. I monitor movements and kick count and have been into hoosoyral once already for reassurance after a period of reduced movements so I'm doing all that's suggested I think.

My midwife checks the heartrate with a Doppler and I'm not stupid, I understand the difference between my heartrate, the placenta and the baby and what's 'normal' for this baby so would it be silly to check the heartrate with my Doppler at the same time every day?? In combination with kick counting and monitoring could it help highlight any problems?? Any reasons not to???

Thanks all xxx

I can't think of any reason not to. I used mine in late pregnancy with DS for a bit of reassurance and will likely use mine again this pregnancy because DS finds it funny listening to baby!

I'm not as late into pregnancy as you gals, but as I'm noticing movement quite frequently now if I have a period of a couple hours of nothing or I eat and nothing happens I use my Doppler. It's only happened once since around 18 weeks, I guess she was just sleepy cuz the next day it was back to internal kickboxing!

I think as long as you're aware (which you clearly are) that simply hearing a hb doesn't mean the baby isn't in distress. I think movements are a far better indicator of problems. I understand your worry, especially having had two losses. I have only had one early loss but I had a friend who had a stillbirth at 39 weeks so it does really play on my mind a lot. xx

What Cattia said. At this stage in pregnancy, having a sense of what's normal for movements is far more important that what the heartbeat is doing. I work at a hospital, and we recently had a still birth that presented because the Mum had kept reassuring herself that things were fine when baby started moving less with a doppler rather than coming into the hospital to "bother" anybody.

So yes, definitely have a quick listen in every day if you want to BUT if the reason you're wanting to listen in is because baby has been more or less active than usual, just go to the hospital. They'd rather see you 100 times and everything be okay than not see you that once when it's not.

And the reason I say "more or less active" is because sometimes a baby gets agitated when it's struggling before it starts moving less, and its frequency of movement increases way over what you're normally feeling.

Given your history, I'm sure the midwives will understand if you turn up whenever you're worried to get yourself and baby checked over properly.

Better safe than sorry!

I usually use my Doppler (can't just yet in this pregnancy) every other day to reassure myself, but if I have any concerns... I'm down the maternity unit like lightening.
I found that the dopplers with the digital readout on the front help reassure you much more so, but you should never rely on them 100% as you can't measure fetal and uterine activity at home. Tell your midwife about your concerns, they might be able to offer you an early induction to help ease your anxiety xx

I agree with the others that monitoring movements is a better indicator. Try not to stress yourself out too much and enjoy your last few weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->