Best breast pump and how to store milk?

RoxieHart

Baking #2
Reaction score
Okay so preparing myself to really take breast feeding seriously with my second.

If my milk is anything like before :haha: (crazy soak a whole bed sheet supply) I think I'm going to need to invest in a good electric pump to help me get some milk out and make sure i don't get any block ducts or infections. Which electric pump would you recommend? I'm looking at the medula swing (is it called?) but just wanted opinions first!

Also, what's the process of expressing and storing milk? I want to breast feed from the nipple on demand but since I'm going to be pumping it would be worth storing and even allowing other to feed him from a bottle.

What's the process? What's the rules of storing breast milk?

Any other random breast feeding tips? :) thanks ladies!

I have the Medela Swing and so far it seems to be great! I am a bit of a BF novice so haven't tried any other pumps to be able to make a comparison but it's easy to use and easy to clean so big thumbs up from me!

In terms of storage, I have the Medela Pump and Save bags that fit directly on to the pump so I can pump straight into them. I will then pop the bag in the fridge or freezer depending on when I plan to use it. I believe there is a 'rule of 6' to help remember how long you can save your milk for - 6 hours at room temp, 6 days in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer. Again, I am still a novice so there may be a difference of opinion on this.

X

I have a Medela (not sure if it's Swing or not) but love it! I've only put one bag in the freezer so far, usually I store it in the fridge for a few days (4 days at most). La Leche League says at room temp its good for 4-6hrs, 4 being ideal and 6 is acceptable. In the fridge it's good for 72hrs (ideal) and 8 days (acceptable) and then in thee freezer 3-6 months. This rule is based on what type of refrigerator you have, though.

La Leche League link - https://www.llli.org/faq/milkstorage.html

I have tommee tipped electric pump which I find does the job but I would think there are better ones out there.
I always thought bm could be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, however, I've been doing that and my milk is sometimes sour by then. I actually ended up giving dd 3oz of sour milk before I realised. She was really fussing on the bottle and I felt awful! I would therefore only keep it in fridge for 72 hours and would freeze immediately if not going to use for a while.
I use the lansinoah bags for storage and they are very good and cheaper than some of the other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->