Best breastfeeding positions for a windy newborn?

CordeliaJ

Reaction score
8 days old and we've got inconsolable crying on our hands. It's always after every feed so I think it's wind. DH and I have tried every burping position under the sun, but it doesn't seem to help. Our next step is infacol, which I hope might give him some relief.

In the meantime, I think I need to find a better breastfeeding position. The only ones that seem to work are either the cradle hold (or the one across your body), or the side clutch/football hold. Neither of these are particularly upright which I think can make the wind worse, plus his latch isn't great.
I want to try the one where he lies upright along my chest, but his cord hasn't fallen off yet, so it's a bit difficult for him to be on his tummy just now.

Any recommendations? :shrug:

I wouldn't worry about the cord. I found that having him feed upright on my front was the best for wind. That way when he fell asleep during/after feeds burps naturally came out. We also used infacol, which did help a bit.

Laid back nursing was my first thought, but if that doesn't work at the moment, you could try a football hold with his head really propped up high using pillows. I saw a woman in a BF group who, with the LC's help, did a football hold with about 6 couch cushions under her baby.

I still prefer the 'football' hold (I'm British so I prefer to call it the rugby ball hold) as I can prop up my wee one and go 'hands free'. Also I can carry him around with him latched like a limpet mine, although he ends to suck like his life depends on it when I have done.

Sadly he's a reflux'er so I've started to 'sit him up' when in the rugby ball hold and that has helped a bit, but I can also lay him down so his feet are lower than his head by unevenly fluffing my support cushion (if tat makes sense).

I still prefer the 'football' hold (I'm British so I prefer to call it the rugby ball hold) as I can prop up my wee one and go 'hands free'. Also I can carry him around with him latched like a limpet mine, although he ends to suck like his life depends on it when I have done.

Sadly he's a reflux'er so I've started to 'sit him up' when in the rugby ball hold and that has helped a bit, but I can also lay him down so his feet are lower than his head by unevenly fluffing my support cushion (if tat makes sense).

I've started doing this position in the last few days which sometimes works. But, with all the cushions I need to prop him up, plus him being sort of under my arm against me, he gets really hot and fussy. Have you had that problem at all?

I've started doing this position in the last few days which sometimes works. But, with all the cushions I need to prop him up, plus him being sort of under my arm against me, he gets really hot and fussy. Have you had that problem at all?

Hi

Actually - yes - when we had that horrid heat wave. Then I just nursed him in his nappy. My Mum's from Singapore and she advised to wipe myself down with a cold flannel before nursing and during if needs be. Only do the baby if you have to wake him/her - but if you do - be very gentle and start with the arms and legs to see if that wakes them up before going near their heads and torso's. But this was in extremely hot weather.

Usually - if you're nursing so that their feet are lower than their heads - their little bodies are at an angle and so the body contact is not at much. When I nurse my 'Pea' it's only his upper torso and shoulders that are touching my body as i have him more to the side and behind than what is deemed optimal. This means I have to sit up straight, but I also prop myself up with firmer cushions at my back which makes it a lot easier.

I know it sounds like a lot of cushion work (think trying to sleep when heavily pregnant!), but soon (when you get used to what you're doing and baby is bigger and stronger) you'll be able to get rid of one or two. You guys just need to get used to each other for now...

If you're still worried about 'cooking' baby, then you could also try to have cotton covered cushions - or cover your support cushion with either a muslin or a silky covering.

Good luck. I love the rugby ball hold as it means I can look my baby in the eyes. He's so cute at that angle as it looks like he's chowing down on a huge cheese burger...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->