• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best formula to prevent constipation?

Kasey84

PAL
Reaction score
Hi ladies!
My 11 day old is formula fed. He's been on enfamil a+ since coming home from the hospital (this is what we were given in hospital). The first 7 days he was fine and having regular bowel movements (up to 4 per day). These past few days though he's going more then 24 hours without popping and also appears to have gas. He cries and cries and I've tried all kinds of tips to help him poop.

I'm thinking it may be the formula. Wondering if anyone else experienced this with enfamil? What is a good formula to prevent constipation? Thanks!

Oh this sounds familiar...except we are using Similac Advance. Started off in the hospital just fine, got home, health nurse said to switch to a cheaper low iron Similac to reduce the likelyhood of constpation. Well at 10 days my regular pooper stopped pooping. Tried the corn syrup in the bottle like they said at the hospital, nadda. Finally I couldn't stand the crying and struggling and used a q tip and vaseline inserted into his rectum and circular movement and that got things moving again. And we switched back to the Similac Advance! I have friends who have switched to the Enfamil because they found baby had less gas with it than with Similac. Everyone has such different experiences!

At 3.5 weeks we are doing better...and I have to say I really wouldn't switch formula ever again. We have been giving him daily probiotic drops, burping after every ounce and occasionly we'll give him some gripe water if he seems really uncomfortable. Honestly this was the number one issue discussed at our mommy and me class last week. I think lots of people go through it as baby gets used to bodily functions.

Thanks for the reply! Based on some research I ended up switching to nestle good start and he's been pooping regularly ever since!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->