Best milk alternative?

Larkspur

Reaction score
I have a 16-month-old who is still BF. She will drink water happily from a bottle, but won't touch milk, or even breastmilk in a bottle.

Has anyone tried other milk alternatives for a fussy baby? What worked? Do nut, soy or goat milks provide enough nutrients? She is not a huge eater. She will eat cheese and yoghurt happily, but is just a grazer.

TBH I am ready to wean after 3 years of non-stop BF but I am worried about her nutrient intake if I do.

I worried about this! And then I read this:

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/toddler-foods/

So please don't worry for now

Mine isn't keen on milk either, but there are methods I use to make sure she's getting plenty of calcium and fat. I give her cereal at breakfast with whole milk (she's much more likely to have it this way) or yoghurt. I give her cheese, which she loves. Leafy greens, beans, pulses, chickpeas (houmous is great with bread or toast to dip) and lentils all contain good amounts of calcium too! And they are high in iron, the absorption of which can actually be hindered by large amounts of cow's milk. She has lots of unsalted butter (not margarine) and milk in mashed potato often. We always butter up her veg or her pasta.

She's still breastfeeding at 14 months and I've no plans to give up any time soon, but as she has cut her feeds right down, I've found that incorporating foods such as these into her diet has given me peace of mind. She is a very healthy child, sticking firmly to the 50th centile and developing perfectly. :)

My now 6 year old wouldn't (and still don't) touch any type of milk after we finished bf (at 27m) - she had yogurts Nd cheese etc so I'm not too worried. I guess she just never liked the taste of other milks- we tried all different cups and beakers etc too.

To me breastmilk tastes kind of similar to rice milk, so you could try that warmed up slightly? You may find that if she is weaned she'll be much more open to other options. Rory refused everything else while he had he option but as soon as he was weaned he developed a love of cow's milk and would drink from a cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->