Best position for feeding baby

Peanut78

Mum of 2
Reaction score
I started giving my son some baby rice porridge a couple of days ago. I initially had him in his bumbo, but everything I put into his mouth just poured straight back out (while he gave me a blank look!).

My friend said his was sitting "too upright" and she held him in her arm at an angle and fed him some porridge - this time he did swallow it.

However, I was always under the impression that they should be sitting when fed...?

My son is not yet able to sit un-assisted - not sure if that has something to do with it....?

Any ideas/ tips most appreciated :flower:

You really must sit your baby upright when feeding solids. If your LO doesn't sit unaided yet then the bumbo is perfect. It is a choking hazard to feed solids in a reclining position. You could try making the porridge a little thicker, although i don't know a lot about spoonfeeding as I do BLW.

As far as im aware you are supposed to have LO sat upright when being fed. Connah can only sit unsupported for a minute or so but he is fine in the highchair.

We had a problem with porridge at first as it was too thin,we now give normal adult porridge as he preferes lumps now,anything pureed finely just pours out of his mouth.

So you could try making the porridge thicker and also it will take a week or so for your LO to get the hang of swallowing :D

its quite dangerous to not have ur child sitting upright when feeding solids.

i do know people who use a bouncy chair/ reclining chair to feed LO because it stops the food falling out but i don't think thats a very safe solution.

the food might b coming back out of his mouth because his tongue reflex might b pushing it out in which case he might not b fully ready for solids yet...

this is from an artical abt readiness to wean:

Signs That Your Baby is Ready for Solids
Before you feed your baby solid foods, it is important to make sure that your infant is developmentally ready to start solids. Your baby should reach all of the following milestones before starting solid foods:

•Sits with support and has good head control
•Has doubled his birth weight and weighs at least 13 pounds
•Acts hungry after 8-10 breastfeeding sessions or 32 ounces of formula a day
•Has lost the tongue thrust reflex and is able to swallow food
If your baby is still working on reaching any of these milestones, it is important to wait before starting solid foods. Babies are born with a tongue thrust reflex that protects them from choking on any foreign objects. You can test your baby’s tongue thrust reflex by making a very small amount of thin, single grain cereal and let your baby try to eat it. If your baby’s tongue pushes the spoon out of his mouth as you try to feed him, he has not lost the tongue thrust reflex and is not ready to start solids.
QUOTE]

Thanks for your replies ladies. Confirms what I suspected, just thought I would check.

His tongue doesn't seem to do anything. The porridge just sits in his mouth until it eventually just pours out again.... He just looked at me totally blankly, like he didn't get what was going on....

I will keep trying to feed him some porridge once a day sitting in the bumbo - hopefully it is just a question of him getting the hang of it. Maybe try and make it slightly thicker as well - I had followed the instructions on the packet, but it was very liquid.

- hopefully it is just a question of him getting the hang of it. Maybe try and make it slightly thicker as well - I had followed the instructions on the packet, but it was very liquid.

I ignored the instructions after my first attempt at making porridge!

What I do now is put the milk in the bowl and then add scoops of porridge at a time - mix them in continually until it feels a little bit runnier than I would like - then keep stirring..for some reason the C&G one I use seems perfect ....then as it cools a tad it goes too thick..so always good to have a little bit of spare milk to un gloop it!

Trial and error - but you will soon figure out how much milk/porridge works :)

Thanks for your replies ladies. Confirms what I suspected, just thought I would check.

His tongue doesn't seem to do anything. The porridge just sits in his mouth until it eventually just pours out again.... He just looked at me totally blankly, like he didn't get what was going on....
:

Kian did the same thing when i first offered him water from a sippy cup...he just let it pool in his mouth then it all dribbled down his front...he gets how to drink it now tho:thumbup:

Guess ur LO just needs to work out how to move it round his mouth and swallow

Hey hun I used a bumbo too when I started to wean my LO, but I didn't have the trouble you had (mine virtually bite my hand off for the food!)

I agree though getting the consistency a little thicker my help- i also had the issue of making it runny then it cools and goes too thick :s !!!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->