best way to write resignation letter

Tanikins

mum to 1
Reaction score
So i have to resign tomorrow and quite frankly im dreading it.

Basically im jumping shit another store of the same chain is opening, they offered me the same job for a higher salary. The new store will eventually make the store im in close. Maybe not for a year ir 2 max but it will close.

I decided i best get out whilst i still had a job.

My boss is going to go spare. Hes either going to punch me (lol) or just not talk to me again.

So how do i do this, hes likely to ask where im going but tbh i dont fancy telling him. Do i tell him or just let him find out

Any help would be great

Dear Manager,

Please take this letter as my formal notice of resignation from my position of [insert job title]. In accordance with my contact I give X weeks notice period and therefore expect my employment to end on [date].

I would like to thank you and the team for your support during my time with [company].

Yours Sincerely,

----
Your letter needs to be no more than that, he'll ask you probably where you're going so you can then say onto a new challenging position etc.

Yep just as Sue said, write that formal letter, then I would ask to speak in private hand over the letter and I personally would explain that I was leaving and why (maybe lie haha) but you obviously don't need to do the latter.

Cheers ladys, im gutted to be doing this. I mean i want the new job but at the same time my boss is like my dad lol

Cheers ladys, im gutted to be doing this. I mean i want the new job but at the same time my boss is like my dad lol

Aww that must be hard, in which case I would definitely try to sit down and talk about it as opposed to just handing the letter over, I know it's hard, I had to give up a job I LOVED 2 years ago, I remember that feeling of walking into my managers office.

Out of my 5 jobs since I was 14, I've quit 2 and resigned 3. Resigning is so much more nerve wracking but you'll be glad of the new start and change to help keep your future solid.

Quitting was easy lol, just walked out as I wasn't owed anything and had no contract (dodgey employers!)

Aww that must be hard, in which case I would definitely try to sit down and talk about it as opposed to just handing the letter over, I know it's hard, I had to give up a job I LOVED 2 years ago, I remember that feeling of walking into my managers office.

The hardrst bit is im the manager ive got to go to the company owner. It sucks lol

Just as use says is perfect. I hate resigning :(

Dear Manager,

Please take this letter as my formal notice of resignation from my position of [insert job title]. In accordance with my contact I give X weeks notice period and therefore expect my employment to end on [date].

I would like to thank you and the team for your support during my time with [company].

Yours Sincerely,

----
Your letter needs to be no more than that, he'll ask you probably where you're going so you can then say onto a new challenging position etc.

^This. I would keep your formal resignation letter fairly simple, no need to elaborate on it. If you have a fairly close relationship with your boss, you are more than welcome to elaborate in person as to more details on why you need to leave the company, but I would leave the letter itself fairly simple, as it doesn't need to elaborate since it'll likely be filed with HR.

I had a similar situation with my first job in my field, where I found a job about an hour from our families (my first job was around 4 hours from either of our families), and it paid better salary. I really respected, and enjoyed working with my supervisor. It was the hardest thing to do, giving my resignation. I felt I owed her an explanation too, as we had become very close coworkers. She was like a grandma to me. I ended up sobbing my eyes out, unfortunately, lol, but explained why we needed to move closer to home for family reasons, which she could completely understand. She wished me the best, even though she was sad to lose me.

That first letter is perfect , it's just the official bit .

Leave on good terms though as if it's the same chain chances are others may transfer at some point. I'd be honest about where you are going, you have a legitimate reason.

So i did it, he was fine. He didnt ask so i didnt tell him.

He wants me to stay so him and the area manager are meeting with me tomoz to discuss stuff

Aw glad it went well :hugs: would you stay if they matched the salary? Or are you still gonna go because of the prospect of your store closing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->