• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Beta blockers and breastfeeding

dimmu

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using beta blockers whilst breastfeeding.

I was diagnosed with postpartum thyroiditis earlier today and my GP prescriped me propranolol to be taken twice a day. My baby is 14 weeks and exclusively breastfed. The GP said that it's fine to continue breastfeeding her unless I had asthma, although her heart rate should be monitored. Stupidly I went and asked Dr Google about this and there seems to be some conflicting information about it although most sites say it should be ok.

I've got the tables here and I'm now hesitant to start taking them. My baby still feeds very regularly so it's not really an option to take the tablet right after the feed and then wait a few hours as she still sometimes feeds every hour. I'm also very reluctant to give her any formula as she's very chubby as it is.

Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks.

This from 'British Thyroid Foundation':

"What is the treatment for postpartum thyroiditis?

In mild cases there may be no need for treatment, as it may clear up quickly. If the hyperthyroid symptoms are troublesome, you may be prescribed a beta blocker drug to relieve them. If on the other hand the hypothyroid symptoms are a problem, you will need to take levothyroxine tablets. Neither treatment interferes with breast-feeding."

My LO was taking beta blockers as a baby so I'm inclined to say it would be just fine! I'm assuming your doctor has looked at the dosage and thinks the amount that could be passed along would be safe for your baby.

What I would say, because I used to take them, they can react badly with other medication -even over the counter stuff - so read the leaflets that come with everything. I know you'll probably not be taking lots of meds anyway cos nothing ever seems safe when breastfeeding, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks everyone for your responses and the reassurance.

I started taking them in the end and I have to say I feel so much better, my symptoms were getting quite troublesome. We have a GP appointment booked for next Tuesday to check both of our heart rates but hopefully it should be fine.

Thanks again everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"