Beta Blockers for anxiety.

Reaction score
Is anybody taking (or taken) these for anxiety?

If so did they work and how long does it take?

My doctor has put me on 40 mg and Iv been taking them for a week and they aren't doing anything. I can't stand feeling so shit anymore :cry:

I can't sleep because my anxiety keeps me awake at night and I just feel like I'm literally on verge of a breakdown :cry:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

I personally never heard of this. I take a beta blocker and it sure does not help me with my anxiety. I hope someone else has more info than me, sorry .. :flower::flower:

Which one are you on ? .. i take beta blockers for a heart irregularity, but my consultant told me that some times doctors take them before they have exams haha to calm their nerves lol so i have heard of it :) x

I'm on propranolol 40mg 3x a day..

I'd never heard of it being used to treat symptoms of anxiety either tbh.

I'm sure it's made me 20x worse though :(

x

Oh it might be that its making you feel worse because its lower your BP etc, i had to adjust to mine! as there is nothing wrong with my BP just my heart lol, but now if i miss a day i feel horrid, coincidently i have anxiety and i don't notice a difference for being on these for for my heart, but that might be because i have been on them for years..... i think your gp can prescribe a mild anti d for anxiety :) x

My DH was prescribed Propanolol for panic and anxiety attack, to take as needed. I think they would be more to lower your blood pressure and adrenaline levels when you can feel one coming on, rather than when you're feeling the same level of anxiety all the time (unless that level in itself is pretty high all the time, iykwim)? Some people find SSRI's work better for them when taken every day instead, like Fluoxetine, Citalopram or Sertraline maybe :flower:

Thanks for your replies ladies.

I think I'm going to have to make a trip back to see the doctor as my anxiety levels seem pretty high all the time atm, I just can't shake it off, UGH :(
I think it's safe to say I'm depressed aswell which isn't helping matters either :(
Hopefully they will suggest something different for me to try!

Thanks again :flower:
x

I took them for anxiety but also took an anti depressant at same time. My Doc told me to adjust the dose myself according to how bad i felt that day. Think they aremeant to help with a panic/ anxiety attack by stopping the racing heart etc

I've never had them for anixety my doctor said unless your heart rate is at a certain level then they will make you feel awful and just mask the symptoms so I've never had them. But if there mKing you feel rotten it might be worth going back yonthe gp. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->