BF Newbie with a few questions!

angel2010

Cart & Emma's mom, 1mc
Reaction score
I didn't get to bf my son and would really like to bf dd, but so far it has been a struggle. I have some questions I am hoping you guys can answer.

How do you know when they have emptied your breast? There have been a few times that I have gotten REALLY itchy boobs and kind of a stingy-itchy nipple after feeding for a while. Could this mean my breast is empty?

When do they stop trying to fight it?

How do you try to get a bigger latch while you are trying to hold the back of her neck, fight off hands, c-cupping your boob and fighting her fighting it????????????

Any advice would help. Thanks.:flower:

How do you know when they have emptied your breast? There have been a few times that I have gotten REALLY itchy boobs and kind of a stingy-itchy nipple after feeding for a while. Could this mean my breast is empty?

when you start they tend to feel puffed up and when he's finished I feel deflated. not sure on that itchy thing being a part of it.

When do they stop trying to fight it?

from my experience he's not fighting it, he just smells the milk and is overexcited to find the source. once they get the point of how to latch on to get it they get more efficient on grabbing on. heck now my son can literally suck my nipple back into his mouth and relatch when I'm not paying attention

How do you try to get a bigger latch while you are trying to hold the back of her neck, fight off hands, c-cupping your boob and fighting her fighting it????????????

it's hard in the beginning when their mouths are smaller but as they grown bigger it gets easier and easier, and like in my above answer, they get more efficient because they figure out how to get what they want.

I tend to put my nipple up by the tip of his nose, then slowly let the skin on the bottom of my nipple open his lower mouth as I drag my nipple down to go into his mouth. that tended to get me a better latch.

Hands were my biggest problem, but if you can get her to latch a couple times they suddenly figure it out and freeze their hands in the air like they are mini boxers lol. my husband used to help me OR I'd have him in long sleeves and pin his arm to his side with a finger while holding his neck (by holding the fabric of the sleeve) OR try swaddling then breastfeeding (this pins her arms to her side and may make her easier to handle)

Hi ya,

Now I'm no pro but here is what I've been told or believe.
You know your breast is empty because they come off by themselves and have a drunk look on their face. Plus I think you know as your breasts should feel completely soft.
Another indicator that your breast is empty is your little ones poo, I think if she isnt emptying the breast she wouldnt be getting the hind milk and her poos could end up going green and frothy.

The itchy boobs/nipples after feeding is your breasts re filling I believe. You either get used to it,or over time it eases off.

Im not sure if it means your breast is empty but that would make sense to me.

I'm not sure about the fighting it thing has my little guy has never fought it,he has always been a right little guzzler!! Lol!

Getting a good latch, I would always rub his nose with a bit of the milk to get his mouth really wide and then shove him on...lol!

Let me reassure you it does get easier so persist with it. I had a real tough time to begin with,trouble latching on with him ripping me to bits and a bout of mastitis but i carried on and im so glad i did!x

Thank you ladies. I know it will get easier with time, but it sure is harder than I thought. Even with not being successful the first time.

My lactation consultant told me to put my nipple level with her nose. I am going to try actually putting it on her nose and dragging my nipple down like you suggested Kassiaethne. Thanks.

The breasts are never really empty, at the beginning of the feed the milk is quite watery & thirst quenching & comes out very quickly. As the feed progresses the milk becomes fattier & thicker & is slower to come out. When it gets too slow the baby will come off themselves. Then it's time to offer the other side, they might take it, they might not. The hind/fore milk is a bit misleading, it's a gradual change in the milk.

To get a good latch, first thing is to be comfortable yourself. Baby should have their tummy pressed against you so they don't have to turn their head. Bring baby to the boob, try not to grab your boob if poss, cause if baby latches on then you let go it can change the latch position. Brush baby's top lip against your nipple, when she opens her mouth wide latch her on.

Babies get much better at feeding as they get older & bigger & get more head control. It does get easier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->