BF premmie and early weaning advice?

xUniquex

Tandem feeding Mum
Reaction score
Ok so basically my son is almost 21 weeks old and has lost weight since 22nd nov.. he was 10lb 2oz ont he 22nd Nov and is now 9lbs 13oz, last week he was 10lbs exactly.

H.V was rather rude today and told me that i cant possibly produce enough milk for two (i'm tandem feeding) and i need to either give him a bottle of formula (not an option in my book!) or start giving him food.

Now i know that prems often are weaned early but i just wanted to known what you ladies think about this?
She also said to give him baby rice but it hought baby rice was a no no until 6 months?

Any help/info/advice is very greatfully received,
thanx in advance
xxx

The guidelines for weaning preemies is to do it from 5-7 months actual age. We started weaning Sophie at 5.5 months actual (2.5 months corrected so she was still pretty tiny!) and the first thing we tried her on was baby rice, just a couple of spoons after her milk feed.

Your hv sounds so rude! I thought milk was produced according to demand and that the more a baby feeds, the more milk you produce? So that should mean you definitely have enough for the two?

Do you get a chance to see any paediatricians at all if you're concerned about his weight loss? Or perhaps phone your neonatal unit?

Sorry not to have been much help! xxxxxx

Is your lo still on gaviscon and is he still constipated? Gaviscon had a significant impact on olivia's weight gain. The hv tried to convince me that my milk supply was drying up and I should give formula top ups. Once I sorted the gaviscon my daughters weight gain improved!

I'd do two things. Get an appointment with the consultant if you are worried about weight gain and ask for a new health visitor. The woman is talking pish, and you need someone who knows about breastfeeding.

As Katy says, guidelines are 5 to 7 months actual age. But as with everything else, do it when you feel your babies are ready.:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->