Bfing sick baby

vtcarter6

Reaction score
My 3 mo old has had an upset tummy this week and not feeding long. His nappies have been a lot drier than usual. I've expressed some and given him a bottle here and there since he doesn't seem to like the let down at the moment. He's also sleeping more/longer. I want to just go with it-- I know how my appetite is after a stomach bug-- but I'm worried my supply will drop. Has this been an issue for anyone? Any advice? Thanks!

It depends how long the bug lasts for but you could always pump for 5 mins after each feed just to be sure.

I would offer him the breast/bottle of breastmilk often. If he takes it, wonderful, but you might also want to try to get him to nurse/take the bottle while he is sleeping. "Dream feed". When my DS was an infant and was sick, I had to dream feed him to make sure he didn't get dehydrated, and he seemed to go on instinct while sleeping so he ended up getting just as much milk as he would have awake. Good luck :)

Will try these suggestions. Baby's had green runny nappies for four days now, but it's not as bad as it was. Could this be bc of his immunisations, or is it just coincidence?
He's dropped a centile (not the first time this has happened with sliding on charts) and is still not feeding well. All of a sudden I'm worried we won't be able to keep nursing. I know it's silly but if he keeps sliding for one reason or another...

Is he taking your breast? How often are you offering? Do you nurse on demand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->