Big Dogs, no Manners

codegirl

Mom to Big E & little e
Reaction score
I take my dog to doggie daycare a couple times a week. She is a mid-size dog (35 lbs) and we have worked very hard to keep her from jumping on people as I find that very rude.

For some reason, the people who bring their big dogs to daycare (80+ lbs) seem to not think it's a big deal that their pups jump up.

today, once again, I got a 80 pounder right in the bump and the owner goes "hee, good morning". She got a serious dirty look from me and ended up appolegizing.

I really don't know how to communicate to these people that the jumping up is really annoying, and for me, getting unsafe (I can hardly keep my balance as it is).

Any advice on how to deal with big dogs with no manners?? I hate to think of having to stop daycare as our dog gets a bit hyper when she's away for too long. We just can't seem to walk her enough :)

Aw i hear you my dog is a toy yorkshire terrier and is a tiny 3.5lbs and wont grow any bigger. We take him to classes and im so used to not having to deal with him jumping etc as he is ankle height that bigger dogs always take me by suprise.

Sorry i dont know any way to deal with them i tend to just give the owners dirty glances (bitch i know) but come on your should be able to control them :) Just wanted to say your not alone :) xXx

i hate it when dogs jump up no matter what size they are.... i think if u leg the owner over theyd soon learn to control their dogs....

No advice other than to say something to them but I get where you are coming from. The other day a little scrappy jack russell came over pissing off my dogs (the way little dogs tend to). Normally I'm not bothere by dogs but I was just heading off so had one of mine on the lead. He is old with bad arthritis but will run an age to chase a dog so he was on a short lead pulling hard (both mine are around 20kg) and tangling round my legs. My others dog was chasing about a bit with the jack russell but that dog was coming up between my legs purposefully trying to annoy the dog on the lead.

And where were the owners? Right across the field. I had to shout for them to come and they spent 5 mins just calling to their dog before coming over properly and even then it took them ages to catch the little brat. I'm 6 months bloody pregnant and do not want pulling or knocking over because other dog owners happen to be idiots!

i dont take the dog out (its a staffordshire bull terrier /pitbull cross) cos its as thick as week old custard... even tries chasing flying birds..... dumb spanimal.... (its called spanner) dont think she jumps at ppl tho unless ur stood still talking to her...

:rofl: my dog does that....he'll chase a bird even tho its flying above him :dohh: but then again everything is above him so doubt he can tell the diff :) XxX

When a dog goes to jump up, either bring your knee up or block them with your arm. My dog used to jump and this 'cured' him from doing it, as well as us going down to his level to say hello. Some owners may take offense at you blocking their dogs off from saying hello, but at the end of the day it's their responsibility to train their dogs.

What really annoys me is owners who walk their non responsible as disobedient dogs off the lead. Dogs which then spend ages harassing me and my dog.

troo if urs is a lil yorkie!!!!! my m8 had a toy yorkie and during her old age (she died last year at approx 17 years old) she was pure evil... used to boss about my friends rottweiler about and her brothers french mastiff even though both dogs eat larger meals in 1 sitting that the size of rosie, it was comical. :D

When I was 8 months pregnant my neighbours staffy launched itself at me! I just managed to deflect it from the bump, my side was all muddy, would have really hurt if it had hit me directly front on! Its one thing my dog has never done..she just completely ignores everyone, she is blind though! :) Personally, when my neighbours dog did it, I said something pretty rude, but really all you can do is say to the dog owner, could you please keep your dog down? They could harm my unborn child..thanks!

I have 2 excitable lovable dogs that think everyone needs a hug!!!
I do NOT allow them to jump up on ppl...BUT have the opposite problem. Friends and a dog sitter that allow them to jump all over.
NOT cool. I think its so rude when a dog jumps up. I actually tell them...put your knee up as they lunge at you. Usually stops them.
I am trying to train them to be polite as the world does NOT revolve around them..hahaha
We don't have doggy daycare where I live...and we dont get visitors much so training is hard! I want to start inviting ppl over just so I can do a training session.

I do NOT allow them to jump up on ppl...BUT have the opposite problem. Friends and a dog sitter that allow them to jump all over.
NOT cool.

This actually drives me nuts. I hate when I expressly tell people not to allow my dog to jump up, and they let him and then reward him when he does so. He's a retriever, so not small and when i shout at him to get down I usually get the response of 'Awww let him, he's so cute'. Yes, YOU may think he's cute but not everyone will. :hissy:

I can't stand dog owners who let their dogs jump or don't keep them on a lead etc when they should. It's not the dogs fault but stupid owners make me really mad. I don't want strange dogs 'saying hello', full stop no matter what size.

I can't stand dog owners who let their dogs jump or don't keep them on a lead etc when they should. It's not the dogs fault but stupid owners make me really mad. I don't want strange dogs 'saying hello', full stop no matter what size.

That's how I feel too... we don't even greet our dog in the house unless she's in a full sit. if her bum pops up then we stop "saying hello" (scratching) until she settles and goes back to a full sit. She looks like she's going to burst but it is so nice to have people come over and not get mugged by miss social.

The only dog I've owned that I've ever let of the lead is my old gun dog. She was literally at my heels at all times and would only move away if I sent her away. She never once went more than a couple of feet from me without permission and I don't remember her ever greeting people unless I allowed her to.

Another thing that annoys me though, is when my dog is on the lead and being well behaved and people will come up and pet, cuddle or stroke him without asking me if it's alright. I mean my dog would be muzzled if I thought he'd do anything, but who walks up to a strange dog and does that? The other week I had a child RUN up to him and throw her arms around him.

The only dog I've owned that I've ever let of the lead is my old gun dog. She was literally at my heels at all times and would only move away if I sent her away. She never once went more than a couple of feet from me without permission and I don't remember her ever greeting people unless I allowed her to.

Another thing that annoys me though, is when my dog is on the lead and being well behaved and people will come up and pet, cuddle or stroke him without asking me if it's alright. I mean my dog would be muzzled if I thought he'd do anything, but who walks up to a strange dog and does that? The other week I had a child RUN up to him and throw her arms around him.

people are stupid when it comes to animals - in all areas of life. It bugs me because they confuse affection and respect for the animal with their own emotional needs/insecurity
humph!

We were in the vet with our clever sensible dog a couple of days ago and this family came in with a noisy puppy. The boy was clearly autistic or had ADHD or something similar. He immediately came in petting all the animals and putting his face by our dog's face. He even licked her face! Fortunately I know Jess would allow anything and would never go for a child in a million years, if she was really pissed off she would just walk away. It's testament to her temperament that she was so well behaved, especially as she was shaking and stressed because of being at the vets. I am sure there are difficulties with managing a boy like that but if I was his mother I think I would've done more to consider the safety of him with all these strange animals.

I have a lot of faith in dogs who generally turn out well even if their owners are crap, it's rare for a dog really to attack, but even so, you can never be sure about strange dogs and how they might be.

if that kid did that to spanner she'd be licking kiddie straight back.....

where is your doggy daycare? Creepy if we have the same doula and the same daycare! I know what it is like. I would just politely point out to them :)dohh:) that you are prego and ask if they could control their dog as it is not very safe for them to be jumping on ANYONE let alone you. Either that oir have a tlak with the owner of the daycare and ask them to say something....that way it is third party and anonymous.

:hugs: bless doggy daycare!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->