Biological nursing? - the laid back breastfeeding position, any experiences?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

Im still learning (LO is only 5 days old) and im finding myself getting uncomfortable in most BF positions as my bed is too soft to sit upright and My sofa has very deep cushions so not great for more than 15/20 mins. I am looking into buying a chair, but have just googled 'breastfeeding positions' and found a pic of the laid back position which looks comfy.

Reading about it it seems to suggest that the baby can attach by themselves and it can reduce sore nipples, which I have, but every MW ive spoken to and also my BF support worker say that BF (latching, positioning etc) is a skill that has to be learnt by both mom and baby.

Does anyone use this laid back position? How do you find it?

I have done this as lo got a bit older and was comfortable until he started wriggling. I also found lying on my side was comfortable and in fact usually led to me falling asleep:blush:

I lie down to nurse and have done since my wee man was 4 months old. He usually just bobbles on and off when he wants to.

:)

It's nice.

Thanks ladies. I actually lie down too for night feeds (just bring LO in with me) but am worried that it might not be safe - I havnt told my MW but I usually do nod off during a feed too!

I've been night-feeding laying in bed on my side too.
I do find my neck gets sore sometimes when sitting up, and like you my sofa is deep, when I sit back my feet can't touch the floor!
I'm going to have a look into different positions, I haven't invested in a bf cushion yet, it's next on my list.

It seems like we are very much learning together Jayney.

It does, you will have to keep in touch and we can share tips!! Yeah my feet don't touch the floor either I get really frustrated trying to get comfortable and end up with a dead arm after most feeds unless im lying down. I've ordered a bf pillow it should be here tomorrow im really hoping it helps.

Yes. for us, lying down was awkward at the beginning when he was still very small, but now it's the most comfortable position.

I admit, I nod off during feeds sometimes, too. lol.

Do you do anything particular to try to make it safer incase you nod off or do you think its pretty safe anyway? Depending on which boob shes on sometimes I put my long pillow the othee side of her so she cant fall off the bed, and I never cover her with the duvet. Ive noticed that when I do nod off/doze I dont seem to be in a deep sleep anyway as am still aware of her sucking. Does anyone else find that? It does mean that she nods off on her side too which could be a bit of a worry, ive thought about rolling up a muslin or something to place by her tummy so she cant fall onto her front as I tend to move away from her a bit once shes finished to give her more room

I nurse laying down at night as it's most comfortable and I'm so tired! I do fall asleep while he's nursing but I find its a light sleep as I'm still very aware of him and wake up at any small noise or grunt. I just make sure my pillow isn't anywhere near his head, I pull the duvet down by my waist and make sure he's not too close to the side. If you're worried about her sleeping on her side could you gently push her to her back when she's asleep?

I nurse laying down at night as it's most comfortable and I'm so tired! I do fall asleep while he's nursing but I find its a light sleep as I'm still very aware of him and wake up at any small noise or grunt. I just make sure my pillow isn't anywhere near his head, I pull the duvet down by my waist and make sure he's not too close to the side. If you're worried about her sleeping on her side could you gently push her to her back when she's asleep?

Yes I'll try doing that, although I tend to fall back to sleep before she does :) once in the night last night I woke because I'd moved just a bit too far forwards and I heard her stirring from me squishing her arm so although its a good thing that it's only a light sleep I think I do need to move her slightly away from me. A small bolster shaped pillow would be good between us but then maybe she wouldn't be close enough to feed properly? Hmm.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->