Birth control question.

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
What is the likelihood that my birth control pills never worked to stop ovulation and the only reason I didn't get pregnant sooner was that I always used a 2nd method of contraception (condoms)?

Just curious if birth control can actually "not work" for some people (even when taken correctly, as I did)...

Reason being, I've made an appointment with my gyno. I spoke to her nurse on the phone because I was in a lot of pain right inside my hip bone. She asked me if I should be ovulating about now, and the answer is yes! She told me it's probably just common ovulation pain but because of other questions & their answers I'm booked in for June 11 (and she'll check out my incision at the same time rather than having to go back another day-- bonus).

But come to think of it... I've had this pain before a couple weeks before my period is due, before I was pregnant obviously, when I was on birth control (I'm not right now).

:saywhat:

the majority of pills work by thickening the lining of your womb making it difficult for an egg to settle there or indeed for sperm to get to the egg, they also increase the level of progesterone in your body which is the hormone which increases when you are pregnant, therefore your body naturally stops ovulating,

from personal experience they do work, i think the combined and mini pill are around 98% effective but if you feel safer using a 2nd method of contraception theres nothing wrong with being extra safe :)

^ So you ovulate on BC or ?

Went to my gyno appointment, she told me over time your prescription should be changed and that when you first start on a new pill the first month it is possible in some cases to get pregnant..

No, you do not ovulate while on the pill.

Birth control pills, or oral contraceptives, contain hormones that suppress ovulation. During ovulation an egg is released from the ovaries, without ovulation there is no egg to be fertilized and pregnancy cannot occur. There are 2 types of birth control pills -- the combined pill and the Minipill. The combined pill contains both estrogen and progestin, while the Minipill contains only progestin.
The progestin in the Minipill may prevent ovulation; however it may not do this reliably each month. The Minipill works further by thickening the mucous around the cervix and preventing sperm from entering the uterus. The lining of the uterus is also affected in a way that prevents fertilized eggs from implanting into the wall of the uterus. The Minipill is taken every day. You may not have a period while taking the Minipill, if you do have periods that means you are still ovulating and your risk for pregnancy occuring is greater.
https://womenshealth.about.com/od/thepill/f/howpillworks.htm

I think that maybe you should monitor how your body feels when on the pill, before you lose the condom, that way you know for sure that the pill is working for you :) :hugs:

So you are aware I became pregnant whilst on the pill with my first. My sister had three of her four whilst on one form of pill or other. It appears to be a family trend and even doctors have decided that perhaps certain people have a chemical makeup that makes this method of contraception not quite as reliable as the 98/99% its suposed to be.
Personally if you really do not want to be pregnant right now I would suggest you keep up at least two methods of contraception.
Maybe ask about alternative methods of contraception? After this one I intend to have a coil...although I am also in the process of convincing OH to have a vasectomy as after this one we are almost certain not to want anymore as he does not want to be "too old" to enjoy his children (he is older than me and is feeling his mortality after hitting a major birthday!) Certainly worth looking at methods other than the pill and condoms :)

I'm having Mirena put in July 9th.

My mum got pregnant with me on the pill! She actually had 2 pregnancies on the pill, the first was a miscarriage though! OH wants to have a vasectomy probably after the next baby, if they'll do it I think I want to have my tubes tied after #2 while they're doing the c-section.

My mum got pregnant with me on the pill! She actually had 2 pregnancies on the pill, the first was a miscarriage though! OH wants to have a vasectomy probably after the next baby, if they'll do it I think I want to have my tubes tied after #2 while they're doing the c-section.

I would say if your Mom got preggers w/ you on the pill maybe your body does not respond to the pill like most woman. I think you going in is very smart. :)

I was told there is a high fail rate if tubes tied during section due to them being swollen ..so i didnt risk it x

^ really!! I didn't know that, my aunt had hers done when she had her 4th c-section because she wanted it all over and done with at once! Rats!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->