Birth of Paige Carolynn Henderson 8/10/10

ladykara

Reaction score
Paige Carolynn Henderson
8/10/10
8.12lbs
2nd baby, also have a 12 year old son

At 5 weeks i had a threatened miscarriage, i was sure it was the end of the pregnancy. But after 3 weeks of bleeding and still pregnant things started to get better. My pregnancy compared to my son was fantastic, hardly any sickness (24.7 with my son) and had a perfect round bump. at 25 weeks i found out we were expecting a little girl.

My labor with my son was 2 hours and 50 mins, totally natural no pain relieve what so ever and no stitches even though he was 10lbs. I thought with this being my second it would be the same if not better so was all set on having a natural birth at the midwife led unit at my local hospital, i was terrified of epidurals and was 100% i would never ever want one. I wanted a water birth and have the freedom to move around. My due date was the 23/9/10 and it came and went with no sign labor was near. My hospital will offer a sweep at 10 days over due and induce at 12 days. I went for my sweep and was told i was 4cm dilated, head very low down and a bishop score of 10. MW didn't understand why i was not in labor already. The sweep gave me some contractions but nothing which lasted. I had a second sweep the next day some more contractions but nothing, the MW said i could sneeze and my waters could go.

12 days over due i phoned the labor ward to see if they could fit me in to have my waters broken as i wouldn't need anything else to be induced. They told me to arrive at 9am. On arrival they said i needed to go down to Victoria ward to be monitored before they broke my waters. They gave me a bed and put me on a monitor. MW came and said that labor ward was suddenly swamped with women in labor and i was on a waiting list and will be called up when a bed is ready for me. Apparently the hospital was so busy they even had emergency talks about closing the maternity doors and turning people away, apparently it was all those couples snowed in last winter which caused a major baby boom. The thing which upset me is they were still taking in women to be induced, they would then go into labor and their waters would go which meant they were higher priority than me. By Thursday night and with no sleep since Monday night i was getting really ill due to lack of sleep and after another woman who arrived after me went into labor, i burst into tears.... I told the MW i wanted to go home, she reminded me i was very over due and was at risk, i then reminded her i couldn't be that at risk if they were pushing back the list every time they induced someone's labor. 10 mins later a room in the delivery ward became available, 4am and i was heading up on my own to have my waters broken, i phoned hubby and my mum to tell them to rush back to the hospital.

Because i was having my waters broken i was not allowed to give birth in the midwife led unit so i had to go into the delivery ward, i sat there while the MW got everything ready, i heard a woman screaming next door and suddenly the memory of my sons birth 12 years prior came flooding back, i started shaking and felt sick, i couldn't breath and went to get up i told the MW i didn't want to give birth and will come back another day (3 nights of no sleep makes you do stuff like this.... ) The MW went to stop me when i heard a baby cry for the first time from next door... i then stopped turned around and said "ok, lets do this".. i walked back to the chair and within mins my mum and hubby walked in.

I was still feeling sick but 10 mins after my waters broke my contractions started and after an hour they were so bad i was begging for gas and air. I asked for an anti-sickness injection as i knew it would make me sick. With a mixture of exhaustion and gas and air after every contraction i would go into some kind of coma, i could hear everyone but i just couldn't move or talk back. My mum was worried but the MW didn't seem to be. The MW said they wanted to put me on a drip to speed up the labor, i knew it would make the contractions worse and after having 3 major big contractions i knew i wouldn't be able to handle anymore, i felt my body giving up. I then made a decision to ask for an epidural.. something i said i would never have. I knew i wouldn't get through any more without help. They gave me an epidural but i was surprised that it made no difference and i could feel everything, they topped it up but still i could feel everything, she then told me i was 10cm dilated and didn't need the drip after all. As soon as it came to pushing the epidural started working. Asking me to push when i didn't feel anything was the hardest part of all... I think i burst every vein in my head !!!!! I was sick all the way through my labor, even managing to projectile vomit on my MW and hubby who were in front of me. My body started to give up and they had to call a doctor in as they thought they would have to use forceps to help the baby out as i wasn't able to do it. All of a sudden the epidural started to wear off... i was able to feel the contraction and after being told they could see the head i found a second wind... the pain of crowning was a killer and i was worried i would tear... within 10 mins i had this bundle of joy being put on me. I was told i didn't need stitches even though she was 8.12lbs and i was able to walk to the showers straight after.

I came home after 6 hours as i just needed to be home and needed to sleep, i felt like i was still on drugs until the next day. They say the more babies you have the worse the after pains are, boy, were they right !!! I also have not recovered as easy as i did before, must be my age !!!

Even though my whole body went through intense pain and pressure and there was a point i didn't think i would get through it, i would do it all again in a heart beat knowing ill get my little girl at the end of it...................................................:kiss:

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs308.snc4/40727_10150099455769619_773449618_7396595_5408431_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs002.ash2/33479_10150099455999619_773449618_7396603_5477657_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs820.snc4/68006_10150100611489619_773449618_7421863_1950082_n.jpg

Congrats, she's gorgeous. Love the bunny outfit, we got something similar but with a bee instead.

i agree second time round is harder with after pains you had big gap like me mine was 10 years she is beautiful btw great name bit biast my dd whos 10 is called paige :)

she is absolutely beautiful.. and i love the bunny outfit.. it's so cute on her

Wow what a gret story. Your little girl is gorgeous, well done xx

Congrats, she's gorgeous. Love the bunny outfit, we got something similar but with a bee instead.

The bunny one was from babies r us too, in fact i went into babies r us to buy the bumble bee and ladybird one ... i already have the bear so wanted to the full colection . They are perfect for winter...and im a sucker for dressing her up in cute stuff...:kiss:

i agree second time round is harder with after pains you had big gap like me mine was 10 years she is beautiful btw great name bit biast my dd whos 10 is called paige :)

Me and my OH both agreed on Paige after we were dating for only a week, we had the whole "what would you call your children" sort of talk and so paige has always been the name of our first daughter. The age gap between my son and paige has helped during the whole pregnancy, my son would basically look after himself and me when i was too sick or when i was near the end of the pregnancy. almost tempted to wait another 10 years or so until we have another...:flower:

congratulations on the birth of Paige! She is just beautiful! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->