Birth Story - Lewis Rielly

alcofrolic

Reaction score
Ive been a while in posting this as I just havent been upto it.

My waters went at about 10am on Monday 10th October, I rang my partner who came home from work and also my mum, I then ran the antenatal clinic who said to come in. We have 4 other children (my step children) so we had to drop them off at friends before we could go in.

I went into the antenatal clinic at about 12pm, and started with really bad back pain. The midwife I saw there really wasnt very nice and said my waters haddnt gone and that the back pain was because my baby was back to back. They did a scan and saw that I still had alot of waters and sent me on my way.

At about 4pm I was in agony with the back pain and it was coming and going, my partner timed it and it was coming every 3 minutes and lasting about a minute. So I rang the antenatal clinic again and told them I had been in earlier and that the pain was coming every 3 minutes. She told me to come back in.

By the time I had got the kids looked after again and got back to the antenatal clinic they were closing so they sent me straight up to the delivery room. After an examination I was 3cm dialated and was offered some paracetamol and pethadine. The pethadine made me really dizzy and I went white as a sheet and just felt awful with it.

I stayed there till around 1am when they checked me again and I was still 3cm, it was decided they would send me up to the ward. On the ward I was in a room with 3 other people and was still in so much pain and was worried I would wake the others up so I spent the next few hours pacing the corridoors.

At around 4am I was literally bent over in pain in the corridor so they decided to check me again and said I was 5 to 6cm dilated so I was taken back to the delivery room.

Because of the Strep B they started me on antibiotics. I also had gas and air to help with the pain. After anothe hour or so I asked for an epidural as the pain in my back was constant and I really couldnt cope anymore.

They came to do the epidural and I had relief for a short while, until it came out as they didnt put the correct dressing on it. So after a second epidural the pain was gone.

Every 4 hours I was having more IV antibiotics and they were topping up the epidural every time the pain came back. When they went to check me again it was found I was only 3cm dialated (not sure what the midwife on the ward was on about) so they have to give me a drug to induce me.

I was like this for the next day or so. Eventually a consultant came to see me and said that as I wasnt progressing they could do a section if I wanted. By this time I think id been in labour for about 39 hours. I said ok we will go for a section because I was just so tired.

Within 30 minutes they had a team together to get the baby out. It really wasnt all that bad. Apart from the epidural giving me the shivers terribly that I couldnt even talk.

Baby Lewis Rielly was born at 00:57 on Wednesday the 12th October and he was perfect.

We went upto recovery and I finally had something to eat and drink as I haddnt had anything for such a long time. At about 9am that morning they took us to the ward, I was in hospital till the friday.

On coming home though I got an infection in my wound and ended up back in hospital, they gave me antibiotics and told me to rest.

Im still suffering now with the infection, have been on antibiotics for nearly 2 weeks and its still not clearing up. But its all worth it, Lewis is a beautiful very well behaved baby and I wouldnt change any of it.

Im not going to be having any more tho. :)

Wow well done you. Hope your infection clears up soon - that doesnt sound nice :(

I have often wondered what happens if you're in labour, in the hospital, but only a few cm dilated or whatever so not in danger of giving birth immediately - do they really just stick you on a ward with a load of otehr women in the same position?! i dont know why but I assumed you would be in your own room?!

Anyway glad your son arrived and is perfect - congrats! X

G/C from second tri, but congratulations!! I LOVE birth stories :)

I think it is ridiculous that they would put a woman in labour on a ward with other ladies - utterly crazy.

Enjoy being a mummy xx

huge congratulations on your baby boy :D your birth story sounds so much like mine with DD1, though i had my waters broken in the end. wishing you a swift recovery for c-section it's tough after infection isn't it, but baby makes it all worth it! :hugs: xxx

many congrats! hope the infection clears up soon. x

Congrats & wishing you a speedy recovery:flower:

Thanks guys. I was really surprised to be put on a ward with other women when I was clearly in pain. At least my partner was allowed to stay with me the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->