Birthday parties for kids you don't know

kitabird

Mammy to 2 boys
Reaction score
Do you go to the party? DS has got 2 party invites from girls in his class, I have no idea who they are, and neither does he! I'd like to go along to have a chance to get to know the other parents, but I'm worried it'll be so obvious when I walk in, that I have no idea who the birthday girl is. Social situations are not my thing at all....

I was not a social butterfly either when my boys were growing up :wacko:

I would leave them but not under the age of 9... If under that age I would just suck it up and stay there, make little eye contact as possible..LOL.. I usually got one mother who was nice and we would talk and by talking so much the time would fly and the party would be over..

Through all of my kids schooling I stayed good friends with 2 moms thats it, but it was my choice..I knew I had to have at least one friend so I always was kept up to date.. A lot of these mothers are very social and that is all great, it just wasn't for me, still isn't..But you should go and maybe you will have some fun or meet another mom that you have stuff in common with, it couldn't hurt.. Good Luck <3

Thanks, I was a bit unclear, didn't mean do I stay with him, meant should I take him at all, or not bother since he doesn't know who they are?
If I could make friends with 2 people like you did that'd be fine for me!

Meg has just had her first party invite and I have no clue who the child is or the mom is and neither does meg, she keeps telling me she thinks it's a girl with pigtails.......wonderful! I don't see any parents as I'm at work so won't know anyone but I am going to take Megan. I don't want her to be the only one that doesn't go and she was very excited about getting a party invite :)

I'm assuming your LO has just started school? If that is the case I expect most of the parents will be in the same situation as you. The first birthday party is always the hardest. Do you have time to try and work out who it is in the playground before the party?x

If it were for kids even my kid(s) didn't even know then my answer would be no. Just makes it seem like the ones having their bday party are looking to fill up space or seeking more presents.

I'd take lo. I'd imagine most of the parents are going to be in the same boat with not knowing who the party is for, and with it being so early on in the school year, that's likely why your lo doesn't know the child yet. My son still doesn't know most of the kids names in his preschool class, but I know he'd be thrilled to go to any birthday parties he got invited to. Also agree with pp, if you can manage to meet a few parents that you get along with, even better;)

I'd go, it'd be nice for your LO and you get to see him with his friends. Maybe try and scope out a few parents in the playground so when you get to the party you'll recognise them. Where is the party at? The ones Callums been to have been at soft plays and even though I knew the parents/kids the members of staff have always pointed out where they were xx

My DS had his first birthday party invite since starting school and we went to the party on Saturday.

He knew one of the birthday girls a little bit but not the other one but it was fine. He was so excited to see his new friends from school and it was easy to work out who the birthday girl's parents were.

I'd take your DS. Lots of his friends will be there and it's a good chance to meet some of the other parents.

I'd go. Joshua was invited to a party within a couple of weeks of starting Reception (he hadn't been to the preschool). It was a good way of finding out who the kids are and who their parents are.

I would go as it's a good way of getting to know who the children and parents are.

DD is one of the children in her class whose birthday is near the start of term - she doesn't know any of the other 59 children in her year but if i don't do a party for her this year it's unlikely she'll get any invites to other parties so even though i'm not liking the idea of a party where i don't know anyone else i am going to do a party for her. I just hope that even though the other parents don't know who i am or who Esther is, that they will bring their children.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go to the parties. I texted the mum of the first party and said DS would love to come, but that I wasn't sure who her little girl is, and gave a description of my DS. She was really nice about it and said she didn't know many people either.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go to the parties. I texted the mum of the first party and said DS would love to come, but that I wasn't sure who her little girl is, and gave a description of my DS. She was really nice about it and said she didn't know many people either.

Might turn out to be a nice new friend, since your both out of the loop ( The loop meaning you both don't know) :haha:Good Luck XO

I'm dreading this, DD will probably get an invite soon and I only know one of the mums, all the others have older children in the school so know each other already. I don't even know any of their names only that they're so and so's mum or dad lol.

I'm dreading this, DD will probably get an invite soon and I only know one of the mums, all the others have older children in the school so know each other already. I don't even know any of their names only that they're so and so's mum or dad lol.

Yes, quite a lot of the parents have kids higher up the school, so it is a bit difficult trying to infiltrate! First party is this afternoon, wish me luck :haha:

Yes I would go I always try and take my son to all the parties he gets invited to I think it's very kind to be invited and I know my son will enjoy and make some friends anyway when there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->