Biting

LeannieB

Toby and Sam xx
Reaction score
Im so upset my LO has just bitten me so hard he has taken a little chunk away under my nipple. It was so painful and keeps bleeding. He is 7 months and has just got his top teeth through and more coming next to them. Im scared to feed him now. Xx

I don't really have any advice, just sympathy! My little guy has 2 top and 2 bottom teeth and he is a biter. I don't really know how to correct the issue. I know he is so little, but I have tried telling him no firmly. He just looks at me and smiles and continues on. I have found that when he is actually hungry he doesn't bite, but if he is nursing for comfort or has pretty much finished eating and is just playing around then he will bite. I have always nursed on demand and let him comfort nurse as much as he wanted, but now I am quick to cut him off if I think he isn't really nursing to eat, but to mess around. That has helped a little. Often times when he is done nursing I have marks on top of my areola from his top teeth. He is also really good at scraping his teeth across my nipple as he quickly turns his head to look around or pulls off. I hope someone comes along who can give you (or us :) ) some good advice on babies biting. Good Luck!!

Ouch! Biting is so painful. :(

I only had a few bites with DD1. What worked for us was, when she bit down, I would firmly tell her NO, unlatch her, and face her outward on my lap. If she fussed, I would let her relatch, but if she bit again, I would unlatch her and set her down.

I found that she usually only bit if she was done eating.

I don't really have any advice, just sympathy! My little guy has 2 top and 2 bottom teeth and he is a biter. I don't really know how to correct the issue. I know he is so little, but I have tried telling him no firmly. He just looks at me and smiles and continues on. I have found that when he is actually hungry he doesn't bite, but if he is nursing for comfort or has pretty much finished eating and is just playing around then he will bite. I have always nursed on demand and let him comfort nurse as much as he wanted, but now I am quick to cut him off if I think he isn't really nursing to eat, but to mess around. That has helped a little. Often times when he is done nursing I have marks on top of my areola from his top teeth. He is also really good at scraping his teeth across my nipple as he quickly turns his head to look around or pulls off. I hope someone comes along who can give you (or us :) ) some good advice on babies biting. Good Luck!!

Thankyou. Im on edge now everytime he feeds off that side. I also feed on demand and let him comfort nurse so I will take him off if he starts messing around. I hope you manage to find something that works as well xx

Ouch!
Make sure you use some nipple cream (I'd recommend Lansinoh) to protect your injured nipple and help it heal.
My oldest bit me a few times. Whenever she did, I'd immediately unlatch her, put her down, and ignore her for 20 seconds. Obviously, I'd be keeping an eye on her, but no eye contact, no touching, no talking to her for those 20 seconds. Then I would scoop her up and latch her back on as if nothing happened. We breastfed for thirteen months, and she only bit me four times, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubysan
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->