Biting

Smille24

Reaction score
My baby just got her 2 bottom teeth. She has bit me twice before unlatching. Yesterday I yelled "ouch" and she cried and didn't bite after that. This morning she bit and I sternly said "no biting" but she laughed at me. I don't want to stop nursing and resort to pumping, but if I can't get this resolved I might have to. Any tips on how to get her to stop?

Our lo is almost 15 months old... So far what has worked for our older two isn't working for her lol so here is what worked for my older kids but not working for this lo lol I tried just saying "ow!" and looking sad first and it never worked.

Taking them off the breast and putting baby down. It's not to be mean. Calmly tell baby it hurt and won't be nursing right then.. Of course my lo was older than 6 months doing this although before he was 1. Our middle daughter bit a lot... So I would very gently flick her cheek.. Not to hurt but get her attention. This worked for her and she quit biting.

This baby.. I've been wanting to wean her since she was 9 months old... She's been a difficult baby to nurse.. Constant mover, kicking around.. Fingers in my mouth and now biting lol shes so attached that weaning will be difficult but we are apparently heading in that direction. :/ good luck! Hope something works for you so you don't have to stop!

Thank you for giving me some advice. I know what works for one baby may not work for the other, but I'm willing to try anything.

Yes ^

If stopping and saying "Hurt mama! No bite!" doesn't work, I put DS down and covered my breast. He would get mad and cry and i'd say "no bite mama. Bite hurts" etc. Then i'd pick him up and try again. Repeat if necessary. Hang in there, they won't bite forever..they'll "get it" <3

Thank you so much for your input. Last night she was squirmy and I knew she'd try to bite again. It seems to happen when she's tired and irritated. I removed her and said "no biting, it hurts". I gave her a moment to calm down and it seemed to work. Hopefully she'll catch on.

She will eventually learn to use the teeth, don't give up please.

She will eventually learn to use the teeth, don't give up please.

I haven't given up and in fact she has almost completely stopped. Every once in awhile she tries, but I look at her and say no and she stops. What I did was unlatch her, pull my shirt down, set her down for a min and tell her that hurts. After a few times she quit. I'm just dreading when her top teeth come in because she may do this again, but at least I know what to do.

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I'm glad to see what you've tried has worked! I just wanted to say thanks for posting this! I believe my daughter is just starting the teething process, so I was wondering what I'll do when she starts biting when her teeth do come in, especially if they come in early! How old were all of your babies when their first teeth came in?

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I'm glad to see what you've tried has worked! I just wanted to say thanks for posting this! I believe my daughter is just starting the teething process, so I was wondering what I'll do when she starts biting when her teeth do come in, especially if they come in early! How old were all of your babies when their first teeth came in?

Both of them got their bottom 2 at 6 months. My lo started teething early too but it took awhile for them to come in.

Thanks! I've read some others say the same thing, so I know it can take months. Fx they take a while to come in so I have some time before I have to deal with the biting! She's bitten me several times already, and although it hurts thankfully it's just gums at this point!

Thanks! I've read some others say the same thing, so I know it can take months. Fx they take a while to come in so I have some time before I have to deal with the biting! She's bitten me several times already, and although it hurts thankfully it's just gums at this point!

Mine did the same thing a couple of weeks b4 her teeth came in.

Oh goodness, I hope that's not the case for us. :haha: Though if it is, we'll just have to figure it out. I've suspected she's been teething for a few weeks, though she doesn't seem to know quite what to do with teethers yet. She kind of bites them, but not vigorously. I'd say her gums don't seem to be swollen, but it's so hard to get a look at them! As soon as I touch anywhere near her mouth she sticks her tongue out, so I have to go by feel. They at least don't seem to be sensitive. Do baby gums normally have kind of sharp around the front edge? I do feel some sharp spots, but two of them are where the eye teeth come through, so not usually the first teeth. I do now feel one where the front teeth come through, but it's on the front edge of the gums rather than the middle of the gums. Is that normal? I wish I could just look!

That's normal. I think you have some time yet b4 some pop up. We noticed white in the front of her gums that's how we knew they were coming.

If I ever actually get the chance, I really want to take a look. I remember noticing when she was a newborn that I could see white through her gums all in her mouth. I figured that must be normal. I haven't seen her gums since she was tiny, so I'm not sure if that has changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->