Bland food ideas!!

Becky61

Mummy & TTC #2
Reaction score
LO has a tummy bug, & the most awful diarrhea, causing the worst nappy rash i have ever seen :(

LO couldnt walk/sit down/stand up this morning! He just clung to me like a baby koala! He seems loads better now though.

We have just returned from the GP, as i wanted a professional opinion on what was causing the mucus like poo, & ways i could treat the nappy rash (LO rarely has it & never this bad!)

He has advised all the obvious. Keep him well hydrated, frequent nappy changes, nappy free time etc. But he also recommended keeping his diet "bland". What does bland consist of? Sorry if i sound stupid!

LO hates being spoon fed, & makes a total mess of spoon feeding himself. So finger foods or foods he can stab with a fork are preferable :)

Thanks.

Brat diet: banana, plain rice (you can steam some rice & make rice balls) , apple & toast. Carrot sticks & boiled potato are also fine. I'd buy some probiotics to help in restoring his gut. Hope he gets better soon xx

Brat diet. Hope he gets better soon xx

I have never even heard of the BRAT diet! & thank you.

Another question to add, that i forgot to ask the dr, is... LO has 2/3 beakers of whole cows milk a day. Is it ok to continue with this whilst hes poorly? Im not sure how milk affects the consistancy of LOs stools?!

I'd go for lactose free milk, dairy is not recommended for a tummy bug, plain natural yoghurt is fine if he's not throwing up, & it helps in restoring the good bacteria, but normal milk is not recommended. DS had a tummy but twice, we were advised to switch to LF xx

Recommend same as pp. Children's Culturelle probiotic makes a daily packet you can just add into one of his drinks per day until he gets back to normal. You can find it at any drugstore, walmart, etc in the probiotic section of the vitamins.

Stick to bland rice, toast, bananas, applesauce, chicken broths, etc. Simple is best to not irritate the stomach further. I would drop the milk until he's feeling better, too. A few days without won't hurt him.

My gastro consultant recommends to me when i'm having a flare up rice, squash, chicken clear soup. Avoid wheat for 24 hours and dairy for 48. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->