Blocked milk duct please help me in desperate!

leigh5tom

Mum to two :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm already taking antibiotics for mastitis, woke up this morning to a hard lump in other breast, it's just not draining, I've been feeding constantly from it, latch has been checked and all okay there, nothing is budging it and I'm so scared it will turn to mastitis this side too. Any advice on how best to clear it and quick?? No pain yet but it's very uncomfortable as my breast feels very full :-( xxx

Try massaging your breast while feeding and apply a hot compress!

Savoy cabbage scrunched up on the affected area it works as a poultice, or pump it out. You could try different feeding positions as well.

Thank you, it's still not budging & can't seem to get any milk out at all!! xxx

Have you tried positions where babies nose is in line with the lump? e.g if lump was on the inside edge of the boob you'd need football hold, if it was on the top of the breast you'd need to lay baby up your abdomen (tummy to tummy). This is supposed to work because it means the strongest suction is on the blocked duct.

I second the advice about hot showers or hot flannels while feeding (mind babas skin!) but sometimes nothing works.

If you are already on antibiotics I don't think another infection would be able to take hold BUT if it is still blocked when coming to the end of the course you may need to have it medically drained.

Thank you. It's just not moving & just seems to be getting worse, had baby at my breast all day more or less. Just used hot compresses & tried expressing not nope nothing :-( why am I prone to this?? xx

For me I get in the shower and use my body brush on my breast - that seems to work. Watch your nipple whilst doing it. Both times I've seen a white spot appear and when I then use my nail to scratch/remove the white spot (which is actually the blockage) the milk then starts to flow. I then gently put pressure on the full part of my breast until the milk stops spraying out.

I've also success pumping but still had to manually remove the white spot.

Or if your OH isn't funny about this sort of thing (mine is so won't even try it!) his suck will be a lot stronger than babies!

What always worked for me was a nice hot shower, followed by pumping, then a heating pad, and then either baby or (if he was up to it) my DH trying to suck it out. It seemed like it still took a while, but I never had one that I couldn't get rid of with that combination.

As far as why you keep getting them, are you wearing underwires or sleeping on them? I know pressure can make them more likely. It might not be that, but I had a bra that was a little bit too tight and i usually got one when I wore that bra.

I can't think of any reason why I keep getting them, other than that I sleep on my side? LO slept 6 hours that night, so I left him to sleep but I'm wondering if that caused it, because he usually only goes 2-3hrs at night and 1-2 hrs in the day between feeds X

It's gone now by the way! I tried the gel heat pad thing and then nursed then expressed. It didn't feel any different to begin, but little ones next feed, milk was running out & he couldn't drink quick enough haha then I felt it and lump had gone :) x x x

While lo's so little try massaging your breast while he's feeding and/or using the heat pads/warm flannel. Also massaging them in the shower every day. Sometimes this is because lo's so little that he's not draining all ducts so I found massaging helped it flow and helped prevent blockage. If lo sleeps longer than usual do the massage at least when u wake to get it flowing, this helps prevent. It will get better, I've noticed my lo now at 4 months massages my boobs himself when having his first feed (sleeps from 7-9 hours straight) to get the milk flowing!

If you are prone to blocked ducts, try taking a capsule a day of lecithin. You can get soy lecithin or sunflower lecithin online or in health food stores or pharmacies. If you feel a blockage starting, up your intake to 3 capsules a day. It really works. Lecithin is an emulsifier that is used in lots of commercially produced foods as a non-stick agent. It keeps the milk from sticking in the ducts too. I think there's a page on kellymom.com that talks about it. My lactation consultant recommended it and it has been wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->